Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Magnetic encoder — Parallax Forums

Magnetic encoder

student@wustudent@wu Posts: 3
edited 2012-04-12 08:59 in Accessories
Dear all,

In thecourse of a project headed by the University of Economics and Business Vienna,we are looking for potential application fields of a magnetic encoder.

Basicallythe technology allows measuring the position of a magnet.

Can youimagine a field, where for instance one or several of the following problemsoccur;

· Positionshave to be measured contactless
· Extremeexternal conditions (dust, other magnetic fields, temperature, vibrations) haveto be passed over
· Maintenanceis difficult due to the high complexity of the final product/application
· Linear,rotating or three-dimensional positions have to be measured
· Thespace is limited and expensive
· Itis vivid to avoid/know about malfunctions of position tracking systems
· Easyimplementing and catch/use of the signal is necessary
· Anenergy effective solution is important.

Or do youknow somebody who could imagine that or needs that?

Thank youvery much! :smile:

Comments

• RodneyirenRodneyiren Banned Posts: 1
    edited 2012-04-06 23:00
    A magnetic encoder consists of a rotating gear made of ferrous metal and a magnetic pick-up that contains a permanent magnet and the sensing element. The gear, which is mounted on the rotating shaft, has precisely machined teeth that provide the code pattern. As the disk rotates, these teeth disturb the magnetic flux emitted by the permanent magnet, causing the flux field to expand and collapse. These changes in the field are sensed by the sensing element, which generates a corresponding digital or pulse signal output.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-04-08 14:17
    Rodneyiren wrote: »
    A magnetic encoder consists of a rotating gear made of ferrous metal and a magnetic pick-up that contains a permanent magnet and the sensing element.

That's one type of magnetic encoder. There are others.

Here's a project I've have using a different type of magnetic encoder. I think this encoder better matches the traits Student was looking for.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138736-Magnetic-Encoder-Project-(AS5055)
  • student@wustudent@wu Posts: 3
    edited 2012-04-10 10:05
    Thank you for your information...

Have you also got any other ideas coming trough your mind spontaneously?

:smile:
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-04-10 11:34
    student@wu wrote: »
    Have you also got any other ideas coming trough your mind spontaneously?

All the time. Do you know a way to keep them out?:smile:

Oh, you probably meant ideas about magnetic encoders. Once I finsh my taxes, I'll be working on making a PCB for the AS5055 encoders. I hope to sell several different PCB versions. I'll update the project thread when I have new information.
  • student@wustudent@wu Posts: 3
    edited 2012-04-12 08:59
    :-D

Good luck!