Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EDDIE Robot Not Moving Forward — Parallax Forums

EDDIE Robot Not Moving Forward

WhyNotScienceWhyNotScience Posts: 10
edited 2012-09-25 14:00 in Robotics
Hi guys,
I just finished building the eddie platform and currently have it running using the Xbox controller. The setup is using RDS4, Windows 7 and I have all of the proper firmware, propellar software and Microsoft packages installed. The robot turns and backs up perfectly fine, however, when the command is given to go forward the robot just continuously goes in circles. I have tested it in a room that was wide open and fairly large. There was nothing in front of the robot for over 6 feet, yet it only pivots and turns on one wheel or the other when told to move forward. As I stated earlier, it goes backward without any issue.

Could a sensor be malfunctioning or set too sensitive? I am still learning all the intricacies and am new to robotics so I really am unsure as to why the robot would be doing this. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I should do to correct the problem?

If further details are needed, just let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-04-03 07:10
    Hi WhyNotScience - Welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like it could be a mis-wired sensor (reversed plug maybe?). Maybe you could post some close-up pics of the wiring, and if possible a short demo video of what you're experiencing - then our Eddie Experts here on the Forums will have something to go by?
    -MattG
  • WhyNotScienceWhyNotScience Posts: 10
    edited 2012-04-03 11:58
    Hi Matt,

Thanks. I will try to post some pictures tonight when I get home. I will also try to get a video of the issue that I am experiencing.

Paul
    edited 2012-04-03 19:02
    DSCF0224.jpg
    DSCF0225.jpg
    DSCF0226.jpg

I hope that these pictures give enough detail and information. Let me know if there are any issues with them.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    1024 x 768 - 85K
    1024 x 768 - 117K
    1024 x 768 - 129K
    edited 2012-04-03 21:22
    [video=youtube_share;LY0m30iGb48]

This video shows the issue that I am having. You will notice that the thumb-stick is completely depressed in the forward direction, yet the robot seems to only spin as if it is trying to avoid something. I also demonstrate that the robot can move backwards fine and turn OK.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-04-04 09:57
    Hi Paul,

This is strange behavior indeed! It looks to me like you've got everything wired correctly, so let's look into other causes.

Could you open the Parallax Serial Terminal with your laptop connected to Eddie and type in the command GO 20 20? This should rotate each motor forward and will help us isolate the problem to the Eddie hardware, or an interfacing issue with RDS.

Thanks!

-- Jessica
    edited 2012-04-04 13:31
    Thought of something else! Try running EddieDirect.cmd and see if you experience the same problems. The EddieDirect service runs the Robot Dashboard without obstacle avoidance, so we can see if the sensors are what is causing the problem (which seems to be the likely culprit currently).

If that works, take a look at the sensor readout displayed on the bottom of the Robot Dashboard screen. Are the distance values displayed what you expect them to be?
    edited 2012-04-04 14:26
    Thanks for the tips Jessica. Do I run "EddieDirect.cmd" in the terminal screen the same as I would just the "Eddie" command? I will try it out as soon as I get home.

Also, in so far as the sensor readouts go; I am not sure what they should be. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to read through all of the notes on the dashboard yet. Are they supposed to be 0 or the other end of the spectrum when there is nothing in front of the device?

Paul
    edited 2012-04-04 16:53
    Hey Paul,

Yep, just type 'EddieDirect' in the terminal screen rather than 'Eddie' to run the Robot Dashboard without obstacle avoidance.

The sensor readouts display the distance (in centimeters) from the sensor to the object detected. I would suggest using your hand to see if you get the expected response from the sensors. If any of the sensors are displaying 0, then you have a faulty sensor. And if that's the case, we'll send you a new one!

-- Jessica
    edited 2012-04-04 19:04
    Hi Jessica,

It appears that my original hypothesis was correct. It must be one of the sensors because when I ran the EddieDirect command and operated the robot I had no issues whatsoever at all. I don't know if you noticed in the video I posted, but the robot tended to turn quite slowly to the right as well. This also seems to be corrected when running it without the obstacle avoidance. In so far as the sensor readouts go, I noticed that the right sonar is reading a fairly consistent 14. It changes very little and never goes over 14. If I move my hand or another object towards it, it will not register until it is under 14. I think that this may be the culprit. What do you think?

Thanks again for all your help,
    Paul
    edited 2012-04-05 09:18
    Hi Paul,

Yep, that sounds like that's the culprit! Drop me a PM with your address and I'll make sure a new one gets sent out to you ASAP.

-- Jessica
    edited 2012-04-05 09:45
    Thanks Jessica.

I have another question that came to my attention yesterday. I frequently leave the laptop attached to the Eddie platform with both of the USB connectors still inserted after powering everything down. Last night, I noticed that the LED's on the main board flashed twice every 10 minutes or so. Is this normal? Should I not leave everything connected after powering down? Also, would having the two USB connectors still attached have any issue with the laptop being charged (as was the case last night)?

Paul
    edited 2012-04-05 14:15
    Hmmm...interesting issue. When you say both USB connectors still inserted, do you mean one cable connected to the Eddie Control Board and the laptop?

If it's the USB LEDs that are flashing, that means that a serial port is enumerating on your PC. Perhaps charging the laptop was sending some false signals to the board? Does this happen when the laptop is off and not charging? In any case, it shouldn't be harmful to the board or your laptop, so you're safe keeping everything connected.
    -- Jessica
    edited 2012-04-05 14:48
    Yes, the USB cable from the Kinect sensor to the board and laptop and the USB cable from the control board to the laptop. I am not sure if it is the USB LED's that were flashing. They caught the corner of my eye when the room was dark. I don't remember seeing this happen when the laptop was not charging, so it must be caused by the charge to the laptop. As long as there is no potential for harm to the board then I don't mind.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • richchaplerrichchapler Posts: 6
    edited 2012-09-25 14:00
    LOVE "GO 20 20" and the Serial Terminal... newbie here! Assuming this does what I think you helped me identify that I still have a hardware issue. Thanks!