Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Continuous Rotation HXT-900 Servo? — Parallax Forums

Continuous Rotation HXT-900 Servo?

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-04-01 23:18 in Robotics
Has anyone modified an HXT-900 for continuous rotation? That's supposedly one of the best cheapie 9-gram servos in terms of durability. It might be a good candidate for the CR mod since it has a full output gear. My other China 9-gram servos only have an output gear sector, so they can't handle the mod. Another factor is how well the electronics drive the modded CR servo at different speeds per PULSOUT variation. I'll get around to it after Expo, but I'm curious if anyone (Duane!) has tried it already.

EDIT: Looks likely at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmGoseqwf8&feature=related , although not sure if that external board is anything more than a servo driver.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-04-01 23:18
    I've taken several of these apart but I haven't made any CR. You would need a different pot for calibration since two gears rotate about or with the pot's shaft. You'd need to make a way for the final gear to freely rotate either with the pot's shaft or about the shaft.

My guess is the pot could be forced to be CR so it wouldn't inhibit the final gear's rotation.

I have 32 of these on their way, I'll likely try modding one to CR when they arrive. I don't think it will be hard.

I've been very impressed with these little servos.