Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Maximum payload for Boe-Bot? — Parallax Forums

Maximum payload for Boe-Bot?

TredboyTredboy Posts: 1
edited 2012-04-02 01:03 in Robotics
Hi all,

could someone please tell me how much weight the Boe-Bot can carry on a flat surface?

Based on the Gripper attachment (193 g, plus 400 g load, plus counterweight) I'm guessing it should be able to carry 1kg (i.e 2.2 pounds), but I'm not sure...

If anyone could tell me how much they've carried in the past, and/or how much the bot should theoretically be able to carry, that would be great!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-04-01 18:59
    Your axels are servo shafts so that would be a limiting factor. How much do you need it to carry? Servo city has these http://servocity.com/html/servoblocks.html
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-04-01 22:50
    I'm not sure that the Parallax (Futaba) servo has a ball bearing (at $12.99 probably not) and it likely has simple nylon gears. It's safe to assume it's a light/medium duty servo. It excels at accurate speed control, one of the best I've seen, but it's not built for high payloads. Increasing the payload significantly will certainly cause your servo's gears & bearing/bushing surfaces to wear faster from acceleration/deceleration loads. Wheels may get wobbly and inaccurate. Too much load can also break or strip gears. You may need to buy better servos with ball bearings and Karbonite or metal gears.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-04-02 01:03
    It also depends on configuration. Servo durability not withstanding, if the weight is too far from the closest axle (ie, overhanging the front) then it will cause the bot to tip and not work. Some more information about your application would help with useful replies.