Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie and RDS4 -- Rotate Degrees and Notifications — Parallax Forums

Eddie and RDS4 -- Rotate Degrees and Notifications

TLCTLC Posts: 74
edited 2012-04-01 16:06 in Robotics
Greetings,

Issuing "rotate degrees" commands to Eddie through RDS4 is giving me unexpected results. When I issue a rotate 180 degrees, .5 power Eddie rotates a little over 18 times. I tried 18 degrees, .5 power and got three rotations, ending at approx 270 degrees. Nine degrees gave me one rotation stopping at approx 310 degrees. I've tried this through the MARK service, through the Parallax2011ReferencePlatformIoController and also the generic differential drive. None work correctly.

I've also tried to subscribe to updates to determine when the indeterminate action was done and never see any.

I've coded around it by continually grabbing the encoder data and performing my own calculations but it seems like that is really better handled by the firmware and not cluttering up my code and the problem is just bugging me I guess.

The drive distance works and is pretty accurate although I can't get the service to send updates there either so I have to work with the encoder data to determine when to forward the message flow.

Thanks in advance,

tlc

Update: My intelligent son said that maybe it was radians rather than degrees so I tried pi to get 180 degrees. It overshot,but was much closer; so a little trial and error determined that 2.54158 gives an almost perfect 180 degree turn. So not exactly radians or degrees.

For what it's worth.