Call for Robot Code — Parallax Forums

Call for Robot Code

Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
edited 2012-04-01 06:16 in Robotics
POT SWEETENED !!! SEE POST #10 BELOW
So here's the problem:

I don't write code.

You do.

You have created many different programs that demonstrate how Sumobots and Boe-Bots and Scribblers and Madeusa's run well.

We
just don't have the internal resources to take the time to create really cool demo's like You can.

For Expo, we need some code to show off our hardware, with Your software.

Got a Scribbler "write your name" program laying around? How about a really-cool Boe-Bot Sonar "search and destroy or avoid" routine?

We'll make you famous! Promise. Really.

Expo is sucking away all our bandwidth right now, and I'm concerned that we won't have the best software to show off our best hardware!

You know who You are!

-Non-coder Matt

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-03-27 09:33
    Most of my code requires customized robots. But I might be able to dig up a Ping))) wall following example.

But we've got plenty of figure eight code that will run on an unmodified Boe-bot in another thread!
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2012-03-27 09:37
    Matt,
    I'll bring my PropBOE bot with LRF and the source code.
    I'll try and cook some stuff up for my Stingray and MadeUSA.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-03-27 09:51
    Matt: I like this idea. Mostly, you have promised outdoor space to attendee exhibitors. Scribblers & Boebots are indoor, floor/tabletop beasts. Can you set up an indoor exhibit area for these bots? Let people display bots science-fair style with simple backer boards with details. Then maybe one or two times a day, do an all robots demo. Each builder gets 2 minutes per bot to present and demonstrate. Would help with the flow and make for nice video opportunities.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-03-27 10:48
    Matt: I like this idea
    (whoa. l need to let this sink in. erco actually liked something I said :thumb:
    you have promised outdoor space to attendee exhibitors
    True, there will be some - how much we can get "covered" is the question right now. Working on that.
    Customer Exhibits, unless they're UPEW related, will have to be outside. This is an "expo within an expo" event, so we want to minimize the amount of disruption (to some degree) to the UPEW hardcores.

Here's what we're thinking right now (subject to change - will update when we change our minds):

We have many big tents outside. Under these tents we have some highly specialized, really cool, "Robot Arenas" - or as I like to call them, "Play Pens". The table surfaces are perfectly smooth and flat.

One of my *dreams* would be to type in a child's name, and then have a Scribbler write it out on a poster-sized piece of paper to take with him - we expect lot's of kids (of all ages). We'd also like just some simple "spirograph" designs as well - stuff for attendees to take home as souvenirs - you get the idea.

There will be (4) Custom Play Pens that are 4' x 6' in size. Each of the four have different table heights. 18" on the low side, 32" on the high side. This will accommodate multi-elevations of kids.

We'll also have two Elevated Sumo Arenas (with foam falling ledges).

-Matt
    edited 2012-03-27 10:53
    dig up a Ping))) wall following example.
    Boe-bot wall following with sonar would be great Martin!

Each Play Pen has a 4" tall band of clear polycarbonate to keep the number of robot suicides to a minimum.

For IR detection, we'll have some tape that will be applied to the poly so that IR can see that too.

Also, there will be movable "obstacles" in the Pens as well, that may be invisible to sonar, or invisible to IR. This will demonstrate sensor differences to those who are real newbies.
    -Matt
    edited 2012-03-27 11:12
    Robot parade !
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-03-27 12:56
    LOL! That's hilarious. Add a few lanes and it would be a neat demonstration of traffic dynamics. Briefly stop one and watch it ripple down the line.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-27 16:12
    PropBOEBasic appears to work. The sample BOEBOT.BAS code, based on Roaming with PING, certainly moves the BoeBot around, but needs a little work. Here's what you need to do:

0) Make sure you have:
    -- #28124 Robotics with the Boe-Bot Parts Kit
    -- #28988 Li-ion Boe-Bot Lithium Power Pack / Charger
    -- #18650 (2) Li-ion cells for Power Pack
    -- #28015 PING))) Sensor
    -- #570-28015 PING))) Bracket kit
    -- #32405 802.15.4 1mW xBee with wire antenna
    -- #28186 802.15.4 xStick
    -- A power source for charging the Li-ion cells with the Charger
    -- 2 jumper wires and a 1GB micro-SD card formatted as FAT16
    -- An installed copy of the Propeller Tool or BST
    -- A copy of PropBOEBasic (from here)

1) Assemble BoeBot chassis
    2) Assemble PING bracket with PING))) and mount to BoeBot chassis
    3) Configure xBee and xStick so they work as a pair. Use Digi's utility
    4) Mount xBee to a Propeller BOE. Plug in a formatted micro-SD card
    5) Connect DO signal on xBee/VGA header to I/O pin 13 with a jumper
    6) Connect DI signal on xBee/VGA header to I/O pin 12 with a jumper
    7) Mount Prop BOE to BoeBot chassis
    8) Connect PING to servo header for I/O pin 14. Make sure voltage set to +5V
    9) Connect PING servo to servo header for I/O pin 15
    10) Connect left wheel servo to servo header for I/O pin 16
    11) Connect right wheel servo to servo header for I/O pin 17
    12) Mount LiPo battery pack / charger to BoeBot chassis and charge it
    13) Connect battery pack to Prop BOE
    14) Use Propeller Tool or BST to load PropBOEBasic into the Prop BOE
    15) Use a terminal emulator and the xStick to try out PropBOEBasic
    16) Enter the BOEBOT.BAS program from the archive.. Save it to the SD card.
    edited 2012-03-28 08:38
    Ok, Sweetening the Pot here:

I want code.
    You gimme code that will type out a kid's name on the scribbler 2.
    I give you Prop BOE.

Who's gonna give it a shot?

Best program wins.
    All other submissions (that don't win) will get a Dual Ping/IR Sensor Stand, complete with sensors and cables.

I must know who you are that will be attempting this Monumental Feat, so that I can allocate prizes...

Any takers?
    -Matt
    edited 2012-03-28 08:51
    How about Nikos' S2 alphabet code project? Can't they use that to program S2's onsite and write something custom? Moderators beware...!

BTW, I have several Scribblers, I'll see if they can follow like that BoeBot parade.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-03-28 08:54
    Darn, this sounds fun but I have too many other projects I want to finish before the Expo.

I will bring my ultrasound enhanced S2 and a bunch of other robots but I don't have time for this project.

Are you going to want the program to use a pen lifter?
    edited 2012-03-28 08:58
    erco wrote: »
    How about Nikos' S2 alphabet code project? Can't they use that to program S2's onsite and write something custom? Moderators beware...!

BTW, I have several Scribblers, I'll see if they can follow like that BoeBot parade.

I'd assume it's fine to use Nikos' code. It will still take a bit of work to make the interface from keyboard to S2.

Come to think of it, this might not be too hard if one used Nikos' code as a starting place.
    edited 2012-03-28 09:07
    Matt: If you need "filler" material, I could fake of of these using a ski glove, someone's burned-up BS2 and some blinking LEDs:

http://www.designnews.com/document.asp?doc_id=240915&cid=NL_Newsletters+-+DN+Daily

But if my hand goes berserk at the expo and steals all of Duane's cool robots, I can't be held responsible.
    edited 2012-03-28 09:13
    If you simply want to spell kids' names using keyboard input, I could always hot glue a BS2 onto my robot arm's PC board...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6TwbIT384
    edited 2012-03-28 10:39
    Are you going to want the program to use a pen lifter?
    doesn't have to, but would be a plus - at this point a continuous line would be just dandy...
    I'd assume it's fine to use Nikos' code. It will still take a bit of work to make the interface from keyboard to S2.

Come to think of it, this might not be too hard if one used Nikos' code as a starting place.

PM Nikos Duane! Link him to this thread, let's see if that's possible...

There may be more than one Prop BoE here...let me see...
    -Matt
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-03-28 10:47
    I asked my robot for some code and it responded with:

D60E2BF2FEC83D570CA43FE7063D4ED6

Will that work?
    edited 2012-03-28 10:47
    There may be more than one Prop BoE here...let me see...-Matt

Surely you jest! You should have dozens!
    edited 2012-03-28 10:54
    Speaking of "search & destroy", I'll have Ken's flamethrowin' BoeBot there. It should be able to locate and ignite several IR beacons or off-brand robots. 3pi? Bot120? Moway? Whatcha got laying around?

Duane, can your mecanum wheel robot last 3 minutes in a cage match? :)

I am reminded of my anniversary party... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANKleh5ZdEM
    edited 2012-03-28 11:20
    Surely you jest! You should have dozens!

Point 1: Are you kidding? Customers take priority. Lowly folks like me have to beg, borrow, steal...

Point 2: I don't see "dozens" of Robot programs from ya'll yet, now do I?

-Holder of at least (2) Prop BoE's
    edited 2012-03-28 11:22
    Are ya saying that "Roaming with PINGs" ain't doin' it for ya? :)
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2012-03-28 14:32
    erco wrote: »

Erco,
    give me some time please. I'll finish the 1st alphabet very soon and I'll post the code in the forum!
    This week I have a lot of work and this Suturday I'll give a presentation on university of Patras about S2 robot!
    I'm in a good way with the alphabet.
    Nikos
    edited 2012-03-28 14:53
    NikosG wrote: »
    Erco,
    give me some time please. I'll finish the 1st alphabet very soon and I'll post the code in the forum!
    This week I have a lot of work and this Suturday I'll give a presentation on university of Patras about S2 robot!
    I'm in a good way with the alphabet.
    Nikos

It looks like there isn't an alphabet that has been completed yet.

Which alphabet is closest to completion?

This would take a lot of work to complete without a library of letters.

I agree with Matt, it would be very cool to be able to let kids draw their names by just typing them in but it would be tough to get such a program done by expo.
    edited 2012-03-29 10:22
    We may need to reveal the "Terrible Secret of Space" at Expo. The Blue Pusher robot (Scribbler) vs the Red Shover robot (S2) in a sumo match at the top of a short flight of stairs. Losing robot falls down the stairs. Padding optional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0ot9iJm_k PAK CHOOIE UNF !!!

All kidding aside, some great demo code might include two or more robots interacting, whether battling or cooperating. Toddler's Hokey Pokey was good, the S2 (with its encoders) should be great. Several S2's all loaded with identical motion code & fresh batteries, all started simultaneously by one master IR remote, should dance in sync pretty well for a while.

THAT would be sweet. Matt, I suggest you have someone there knock out a simple forward, turn, reverse sequence in SPIN and try it out with 2 S2s to see how well they stay in sync. If it works well, encourage all attendees to bring their personal S2's to Expo, "load the code" and participate in a massive choreographed dance number.

Call Guiness World records. What's the record for the most robots moving in sync?
    edited 2012-03-29 14:19
    very cool to be able to let kids draw their names
    Didn't Whit have something like that? I seem to remember ...?
    -MattG
    edited 2012-03-29 16:06
    Shall I take that as a "NO"?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-03-29 16:27
    Ok, Sweetening the Pot here:

I want code.
    You gimme code that will type out a kid's name on the scribbler 2.
    I give you Prop BOE.

Who's gonna give it a shot?

Best program wins.
    All other submissions (that don't win) will get a Dual Ping/IR Sensor Stand, complete with sensors and cables.

I must know who you are that will be attempting this Monumental Feat, so that I can allocate prizes...

Any takers?
    -Matt

I think I should be able to modify my Xbee/pen lifter equipped S2 to write out names as entered into the XCTU program. Of course I would need Nikos' alphabet to do it.
    edited 2012-03-29 17:31
    THAT would be sweet. Matt, I suggest you have someone
    Shall I take that as a "NO"?
    That IS a sweet idea, erco, and you're sweet for suggesting it...
    -MattG
    edited 2012-03-29 17:34
    W9 - excellent possibility!

Nikos - what's your time frame (no pressure), do you think a simple alphabet is really doable in the next couple weeks?
    You guys pull this off, and there'll be a Prop Boe in it for each of you :thumb:

-MattG
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2012-03-29 17:44
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I think I should be able to modify my Xbee/pen lifter equipped S2 to write out names as entered into the XCTU program. Of course I would need Nikos' alphabet to do it.

Rich,

In a few hours I will have finished the alphabet and I' ll post the code!
    Nikos
    edited 2012-03-29 21:12
    Looks like I might need to set aside a couple of Prop Boe's...?
    -MattG