Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Taos TCS3200 and sorting food — Parallax Forums

Taos TCS3200 and sorting food

MacsMacs Posts: 3
edited 2012-04-01 11:44 in Accessories
Hi,

I would like to know if the sensor Taos TCS3200, can be usedfor the selection of rice, coffee, wheat, nuts, minerals, etc., for the recognition of colors principally and size also.

I plan to develop a channel selection to create structures to multiple banks and I would understand if the sorters on the market at 24, 48 and 96 channels, such as sensors for the recognition adopt.

Is there someone who has experience and who can tell me if :

1 - the TCS3200 DB is suitable for this application ?
2 - What other recognition products do you suggest ?
3- Someone has develop code and application for this market ?

The product in question as a search field on Google is this

rice sorting machine

or in detail

http://elicaoil.eu/scivoloblu.jpg

Thanks in advance for your support and suggestions

Greetings
Macs

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-26 15:21
    The TCS3200 uses a frequency output, multiplexed for each of the R, G, and B channels. Because each channel requires its own sampling time, in sequence, it's not suitable for high-speed sorting. You would be better off considering the TAOS TCS3103/4, which has a separate analog output for each channel. Coupled with three high-speed ADCs, it would give you the speed that these types of sorting applications require.

-Phil
  • MacsMacs Posts: 3
    edited 2012-04-01 09:08
    Hi Phil

thanks foryour answer.

I think your answer is centered with regard to the recognition of color.
    In this case, each channel should have a sensor TCS3103/4,a part from the rest as needed and EV LED,and control settings of the benches.

It remains to be recognized for its size, which probably should be done at a later time and with a linear CCD with other machinery.

ButI'm noticing this CCD camera is probably the two things together, sorting by color and size butI'm not sure.

http://en.cn-amd.com/tech.html

Can you tell me who makes these CCD cameras, since you seemvery knowledgeable in the field of optics?

In addition to the solution withTCS3103/4, you know if is ready a module with optics ready to go,or should be developed?

Thank you for the information and support

Greetings
    Macs
    edited 2012-04-01 09:49
    Macs,

The TSL1401, with 128 pixels, might be adequate for some size sorting, when coupled to a fast processor like the Propeller. (It plugs into the Propeller Backpack, BTW.) For several years, back in the '80s, I used a Fairchild CCD111A 256-pixel CCD coupled with Z8 microcontrollers for sizing two lanes of fruit at once. But that's ancient technology. CMOS sensors are much easier to interface and require only one voltage to operate.

If you get into this biz, I hope you're still young and can tolerate being on call and available to travel at a moment's notice to such exotic locales as Fresno and Bakersfield. I lived that life for several years. The money was really good, but it was a soul-sucking existence. Also, unless you're a mechanical whiz, you'd better hook up with a good mechanical engineer. Handling produce is one of the most difficult challenges out there. I was lucky to be working with the best in the field -- a true mechanical genius. But the best-designed electronics will fail miserably (and you will be blamed) if the mechanical apparatus is a little off. (Did you know that roller chain stretches over time?)

-Phil
  • MacsMacs Posts: 3
    edited 2012-04-01 11:01
    Hi Phil

I read your response a few times and you made me laugh, becausewhat you say is true.
    It may be good but if the electronic or mechanical structure does not stand or walk for any reason, you who must run, aha aha.

I also contacted the Chinese, who do not sell their products in Europe for this reason that they are not ready or willing to work fast if the selection has problems of any kind and are not willing to open field offices, and I am thinking is not good .. mmm why ? This not sound good..

Of course it's a tough market, I know this area, 25 years ago was used cell Hamamatsu.
    Now I know that is rapidly expanding use CCD and requires qualified people and willing to travel anywhere. I believe that in addition to the quality of the machine, everything is played on a fast support, though that may be included as service and cost separately.

Despite my 50 years, the challenges Ialways catch.
    Is there anyway to say that there are companies that sell dozens a month now and I think a lot of things or problems they have solved. Then you need a qualified technician in the field while selecting tons of rice or coffee is a necessity ....

PS: Your name appear to be familar to me, see some advertisements magazine years ago...as company BS
    Can to be or I'am wrong ?

Thank you
    Macs
    edited 2012-04-01 11:44
    Macs... wrote:
    see some advertisements magazine years ago...as company BS
    Yes, if BS = Bueno Systems. We advertised briefly in some of the trade mags and did the trade show circuit. I'm the sole shareholder now and no longer building turn-key inspection cameras -- just mostly doing contract design and providing a few products for Parallax and TAOS.

-Phil