Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
weird power on spinneret — Parallax Forums

weird power on spinneret

davidginn524davidginn524 Posts: 12
edited 2012-03-25 14:33 in Accessories
I was wondering if anyone had the same issue as me. I plugged mine in then it turned on for a split second and got really hot then turned off. I just ordered a new web server got it on friday and decided to power it up. I have an adjustable power supply that goes from less than a volt to 24 volts with a digital read out on the front. I read the documentation before hand and it said anywhere from 3-3.6 correct? Also you can use a different setup for from 4 to 9 v right?. Set my adjustable psu to 3v at 200 Mah's because idle is uses 175 Mahs.
I guess what I am getting at is, there anyone that has had a power problem with theirs where it just stops working and gets really hot?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-25 10:37
    J2 is for the Prop Plug. It's definitely not a power input. The correct way to power the Spinneret is to apply 4-6VDC to J6: +V to R, 0V to B. If you're using a daughterboard with the Spinneret, the voltage needs to be a regulated +5V. If you applied more than 3.3V to the 3.3V pin on J1, there's a good chance you've done some damage to the board.

-Phil
  • davidginn524davidginn524 Posts: 12
    edited 2012-03-25 12:35
    I have only applied 3 v the lowest it said in the documentation on J1 with it being grounded also
    edited 2012-03-25 12:52
    The instructions in the Spinneret docs are pretty poorly stated and include one statement that's not true [edits are mine]:
    "There are three methods for powering the Spinneret Web Server, depending on the power source. To
    provide power from a 3.0 to 3.6 VDC source, use J1 and connect pin 2 to ground, and either pin 1 to
    power. For a 4.0 to 9.0 VDC supply, either use J1 and connect pin 2 to ground and pin 12 to power, or
    use J6 and connect pin 3, labeled 'B', to ground and pin 2, labeled 'R', to power. When providing power
    from a 4.0 to 9.0 VDC supply on either J1 or J6, the same voltage will be output on the corresponding pin
    of the other connector. Pin 12 of J1 will also output a regulated 3.3 VDC supply. [Not true.
    When 4-6V is applied to J6 or pin 12 of J1, pin 1 of J1 will exhibit a regulated 3.3V.
    ] Make sure that any
    connected devices are tolerant of these voltages. Do not simultaneously supply power to multiple pins."

Since you've got a variable DC supply, I would apply 5V to J6 as I outlined above.

-Phil
  • davidginn524davidginn524 Posts: 12
    edited 2012-03-25 13:53
    ha! i noticed they were poorly written also. I didnt catch what you saw. Probably because you use them way more than I have. I shall give that a try to night and hope for the best. and I would still ground it on pin 2?
    edited 2012-03-25 14:33
    If you use J6, like I suggested, connecting the 0V lead to "B" does the ground connection.

-Phil