Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
VirtualBox Problems — Parallax Forums

VirtualBox Problems

danielcg25danielcg25 Posts: 3
edited 2012-03-24 23:50 in BASIC Stamp
Today I got this for my birthday:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/ProductID/320/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost,ProductName

And I'm trying to use it on a MacBook Pro running OS X Lion (10.7.3), which Parallax doesn't support, using VirtualBox to run Windows 7 which Parallax does support. I'm absolutely sure the problem is with VirtualBox because the device works completely fine on my dad's Toshiba laptop running Windows 7.

The device uses a serial port to connect to a computer, but also comes with a USB to Serial connector if you have a computer which doesn't have serial ports. My Macbook doesn't have serial ports.

When I plug the device into my computer, the USB to Serial connector has a green light on it, which I'm assuming is good. When I tell the VM to capture the device, the light on the device flashes red and Windows says it doesn't recognize the device and refers to it as Unknown Device.

I have a Mac running OS X Lion (10.7.3) and Parallax only has a PPC version of it's software for Mac, so me and my Intel based machine can't use it.

I'm using the latest VirtualBox and a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (although it won't activate because it's an "upgrade" version and not for clean installs, but it says I
have 3 days to straighten that out).

Windows works fine, and I've installed VB's extension thing on the guest (Win 7) and the host (OS X), and turned USB 2.0 on in the settings.

tl;dr USB device doesn't work with my OS, so I'm using a Windows 7 VM and Windows doesn't recognize the device. If you have any questions feel free to comment or PM me and I'll be happy to answer them.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-24 19:02
    You might try downloading and installing the Windows driver under VirtualBox for the FTDI chip that's in the USB to serial adapter you got with your Parallax kit. Make sure the adapter isn't plugged in when you install the driver. You can download the driver from either Parallax or FTDI. You want a VCP (Virtual COM Port) driver for Windows 7.

I can't speak for VirtualBox, but I regularly run the Stamp Editor under Windows XP under Parallels Desktop under MacOS Lion. It works fine that way.

There was an announcement recently that Parallax will be releasing an updated version of the Stamp tokenizer (compiler) "real soon now" that's compatible with Lion and Murat will release a new version of MacBS2 for Intel Macs soon afterwards.
  • danielcg25danielcg25 Posts: 3
    edited 2012-03-24 19:08
    A moderator on the VirtualBox forums said to try booting the VM without the device plugged in, and plugging it in after the VM has finished booting, I'll try that and report back.

Edit: Nope, that didn't work. I'm going to try Parallels Desktop, we'll see if that works.
    Edit 2: Parallels works great, and is a much better app. I'm going to use that, the problem seems to be with VB and not Parallax so you guys don't have to worry.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-03-24 23:50
    Off topic, but it appears this thread is solved? If it is then it would be great if you could mark it so.

Anyway, it would be nice if the tokenizer/download library was linux compatible as well.

Here's the relevant thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133804-Support-OS-X-10.7-Lion

April 6th is listed as the most recent target date. That's Friday two weeks from now...