Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
After the setup... — Parallax Forums

After the setup...

WildatheartWildatheart Posts: 195
edited 2012-03-23 22:07 in Accessories
Now that my Spinneret is up and mostly running (thanks to Mike G and others here) with an enhanced "Hello World" HTML program, I'm anxious to put this lil guy to use. There's a ton of helpful HTML tutorials on the internet, but my interest lies in transfering changes made on a web page to a running Stamp, Propeller, or VB application in real time. I think Mike's excellent tutorial uses onboard capabilities to sleect and blink his LED's. That's a major step in the direction of which I am interested, but I'd like the flexability to send information directly to a running application. I'd welcome to see any examples or suggestions - preferrably in VB. I'm guessing that a huge area of interest could be generated here if we could show completed projects that make selections on a web page, then interface those changes via a running application to the serial port, then on to electrical/mechanical mechanisms.

Mike, (as mentioned in another thread to troubleshoot connection of Idevices to the Spinneret), if I could I'd lend you an Idevice but at this time the best I can offer at this time is Logmein, phone, or video contact to my devices.

Speaking of video, some of the links have not been available on Mike's tutorial - I'd like to experiment with streaming a webcam through the Spinneret if the example programming is available. I do have a working application in VB that streams my webcam but just not sure how to call this from HTML.

http://72.222.244.139:5000 ...trying to generate as much interest as posssible for the Spinneret device.

Comments

• Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2012-03-23 22:07
    Wildatheart, the tutorial outlines headers, GET and POST. This is how you send data to a web server using the HTTP protocol. You don't have to use HTTP, you could use UDP.

Anyway this sends a GET request to the my Spinneret. The Spinneret returns an XML document with the page count.
    using System;
    using System.IO;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Text;

namespace Examples.System.Net
    {
        public class WebRequestGETExample
        {
            public static void Main()
            {
                WebRequest request = WebRequest.Create("http://spinneret.servebeer.com:5000/pagecnt");

// Set the Method property of the request to GET.
                request.Method = "GET";

// Get the response.
                using (WebResponse response = request.GetResponse())
                {
                    Console.WriteLine(((HttpWebResponse)response).StatusDescription);
                    // Get the stream containing content returned by the server.
                    using (Stream responseStream = response.GetResponseStream())
                    {
                        using (StreamReader reader = new StreamReader(responseStream))
                        {
                            Console.WriteLine(reader.CurrentEncoding);
                            string responseFromServer = reader.ReadToEnd();
                            // Display the content.
                            Console.WriteLine(responseFromServer);
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

Speaking of video, some of the links have not been available on Mike's tutorial - I'd like to experiment with streaming a webcam through the Spinneret if the example programming is available
    You can't. The Propeller does not have enough juice. What links are not available?