Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie Control board - no encoder pins? — Parallax Forums

Eddie Control board - no encoder pins?

DanKasunDanKasun Posts: 3
edited 2012-03-22 13:52 in Robotics
Was getting through my first assembly and going to the point where I connect the Position Controller to the encoder pins on the control board... but the control board I received does not have them. I see them in the diagram in the documentation between the ADC and IO pins - but there's nothing there on my board.

Any suggestions on what to do with the position controller cable?

Thanks!

Comments

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-03-22 07:10
    According to the schematics here it looks like the encoders end up being attached to the Propeller pins P10 and P11 through connector J8.

http://www.parallax.com/portals/0/downloads/docs/prod/robo/eddie/220-28990-EddieControlBoardRevA.pdf

Hope this helps,

Robert
  • DanKasunDanKasun Posts: 3
    edited 2012-03-22 07:23
    Thanks... the diagram and instructions (and photos in the documentation) give them impression that there is an onboard encoder on the controller board... There isn't one on mine (AFAICT). Wondering if this is a different rev or if I'm missing something...

-Dan
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-03-22 07:34
    DanKasun wrote: »
    Thanks... the diagram and instructions (and photos in the documentation) give them impression that there is an onboard encoder on the controller board... There isn't one on mine (AFAICT). Wondering if this is a different rev or if I'm missing something...

-Dan
    Hi Dan. Welcome to the Forums!

The encoders are built into the wheel/motor assembly. The cables are the smaller three conductor. It looks like they plug into 11 and 12 on the "I/O" connector

Jim

EDIT: looking at the schematic, J7 is the I/O connector and there was supposed to be a J8 for the encoders, but it looks like they incorporated the I/O's and encoders on the one connector (J7).
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-03-22 08:59
    Hi Dan,

Publison is right, we did have a separate I/O connector on Rev A of the Eddie Control Board. However, as those pins were really just GPIO pins, we didn't want users to think that they could only be used for encoders. So we incorporated them all into the J7 connector. The pin assignments remain the same however, pin connection is the same, P11.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll make sure the documentation gets updates ASAP.

Cheers,
    Jessica
  • DanKasunDanKasun Posts: 3
    edited 2012-03-22 13:52
    Got it - thanks!