Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using USB-Prop boards as an FTDI programmer. — Parallax Forums

Using USB-Prop boards as an FTDI programmer.

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2012-03-22 03:29 in Propeller 1
Ok im still redesigning my PCB and I went to digikey to order everything and it was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend at this exact moment some of that was the prop plugs cost though. Ive decided Im just going to order a quick start or usb proto board right now so I can get to work. I mean I have alot of assembly language to get on with too. Im wondering if i order on of the USB boards today is there a way I can just somehow tap into the leads of the FTDI chip on the quick start and/or usb proto and use it as an ftdi programmer, or maybe even use the prop output pins to funnel the tx/rx into to another boards prop plug pins? Acually using a proto/quick start board seems like it could be a really advanced programmer if you can just connect four data pins from the prop ao another board waiting on ftdi input.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-03-21 10:35
    After burning out two different Prop Plugs, I started making my own from USB Proto boards.

The first picture shows my home made Prop Plug connected to a normal Propeller Proto board.

The last picture shows how I connected the header pins to the traces on the bottom of the board.

PseudoPlug110706a.png
    UsbCutOutFilled110706a.png
    UsbCutOut110706a.png
    SolderToTraces110706a.png

I haven't tried using a QS as a Prop Plug myself.
    364 x 290 - 254K
    335 x 272 - 244K
    303 x 206 - 165K
    619 x 535 - 774K
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,859
    edited 2012-03-22 03:19
    For Prop PKS (Propeller Keychain System), there's a trick done to make it act as a pass-through Prop Plug programmer.
    With some modifications, you could probably do that to these boards, but it'd be SMT rework...

Anyway, the trick is to use a Prop pin and a couple resistors to force reset high one one board, so that it won't reset and allow the reset signal to just reset the other board.
    It seems to work great. Haven't seen anybody else do it though...
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,859
    edited 2012-03-22 03:29
    An easier way, which I think has been discussed before, is to find and cut the reset trace from transistor to the Reset pin of the Prop.
    Then, wire it back up, but with a switch, so that you can disconnect it, if you want and only use to to reset the other Prop...