Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with the Basic Stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Need help with the Basic Stamp 2

warriors15warriors15 Posts: 3
edited 2012-03-14 19:15 in BASIC Stamp
I need to make an alarm clock with two seven segment LEDs using BS2 and pbasic language 2.5. Can anyone tell me how i can start off? I am planning on having the alarm go off every 30 minutes or so. Or how can I have the alarm clock go off on whichever time i enter for it. I am familiar with some basic pbasic commands. So help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-14 17:41
    There are all sorts of articles and sample code available in the Nuts and Volts Columns archive ... click on the Resources tab on the main Parallax webpage.

You'll need a real-time-clock chip and that's covered in one of the Columns. Look for other examples in the StampWorks Manual which you can get via the Downloads page
  • warriors15warriors15 Posts: 3
    edited 2012-03-14 17:55
    yes, thank you but is there anyway someone can show me how to start off or a basic outline of what i should accomplish. I can spend hours trying to find a certain sample of code, but if I dont have a plan, time becomes of the essence..
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-14 18:10
    First thing you need to do is to come up with a detailed description of what you want to do, what devices you want to use. For example, choose a real-time-clock like the DS1302 and see how it works ... gather up sample code and sample connections. How are you going to enter the time? Do you want to use pushbuttons like some watches and clocks? Do you want to use a keypad? If pushbuttons, how should each pushbutton behave? Your 7-segment displays ... I assume they're each multidigit. Do you want to use the decimal points for mode indicators? (think of how watches get set) When are you going to show the alarm time and when are you going to show the clock time?

In terms of how to put things together ... Get schematics for examples for each of the items (display, entry, real-time-clock, sound maker). Get each one to work separately ... probably start with the display since you can use that for debugging. Display the various registers of the clock. Display the data entered whether with pushbuttons or a keypad. Use the data entered to set the real-time-clock. Make some kind of annoying noise. Start putting the pieces together.
  • warriors15warriors15 Posts: 3
    edited 2012-03-14 19:15
    Thank you, I will start piecing things slowly together.