Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mini Sumo — Parallax Forums

Mini Sumo

jaegjaeg Posts: 156
edited 2012-03-19 16:37 in Robotics
So I've been thinking about building myself a custom mini sumo. I have two Parallax Sumobots but you can only have so much fun crashing two identical bots into each other, plus I want to see if I can get some folks in the computer science department at my university to participate in some mini sumo competitions. We don't have a robots club (yet) or an engineering department so it'll just be us coding geeks.

To my question. I've seen two kits use servos for sumo movement, the Sumobot and the Mark III. The Solarbotics Sumovore uses gearmotors which are faster than the servos in the other kits and at 6v giving 76 oz-in of torque. Now I know you could use higher torque servos but I don't see it being practical (or cost effective) to modify the higher end servos. Especially metal gear ones (if that's even possible)

So what do you all think? Do you use servos or regular gear motors for your sumos and what is some recommendations for torque or speeds?

Comments

• Rick BrooksRick Brooks Posts: 67
    edited 2012-03-12 17:13
    jaeg,

I used four Maxon motors on "ExSpurt". You can find all of the details here:
    http://brooksbots.com/ExSpurt.html
    The speed is limited by the program to about 65 inches per second. I don't have a measurement for torque, but it is "sufficient".

Rick
  • jaegjaeg Posts: 156
    edited 2012-03-14 10:08
    I was watching the videos of your bot competing. Wow that thing is fast. I was doing some number crunching and that parts I had chosen where a wheel with a 2 5/8 inch diameter and a Solarbotics GM8 gear motor that rotates at 78 rpm with 76.38 oz-inch of torque. So if I'm doing the math right 2 5/8 x 78 = 204.75 inches a minute. Divide that by 60 to get 3.41 inches a second. So if the ring was about 30.31 inches in diameter and the robot was all the way at one side it would take it about 8.88 seconds to get across.

I'm unsure if these gear motors will be able to either get enough momentum to have a high pushing for or be able to out push the opponent head on.
    edited 2012-03-14 19:35
    My sumo robots try to avoid pushing contests. If the match results in a head-to-head push, anything can happen and any robot could win.
    It is much better to push your opponent from the side or rear. Getting to that position is the problem that should be solved.
    I haven't been concerned with the pushing power of a sumo robot for years. Instead I work on attack strategies, positioning if the initial attack doesn't work, and defensive moves.
    Rick
    edited 2012-03-15 05:51
    Ok.

Random question about the legality of a somewhat evil feature. Let's say a robot had a flat enough section of scoop that it could go under the opponent. Would it be legal if there was a white band on it to trigger the robots line sensor?
    edited 2012-03-15 14:06
    That strategy is perfectly legal.
    It also depends on several other things happening:
    1. You get into a head-to-head pushing match.
    2. Your scoop actually goes under your opponents scoop.
    3. Your opponent has line sensors
    4. Your opponent reacts to its line sensors.
    5. Your opponent does not override his line sensors with his object sensors.
    I've seen the strategy work in the past on a limited basis.

Rick
    edited 2012-03-18 16:19
    Thanks for your response.

I made an error in my math. I used diameter instead of circumference so the speed is 10.71 inches a second and would take around 3 seconds to get from side to side.
    edited 2012-03-19 16:37
    jaeg,

If speed is your goal, the easy solution our high school students use is the Futaba S9254 servo. They are good for about 25 inches per second in a BOEBot.
    If you want to attend a good competition, you could drive over to Peoria this Saturday for the CIRC Bot Brawl. http://www.circpeoria.org/ They have both mini sumo and 3Kg sumo.
    Or, in a few weeks you could attend the National Robotics Challenge in Marion, Ohio. http://www.nationalroboticschallenge.org/joomla/ It is intended for students, mostly high school and college. If you want to compete there, read the rules. Their min sumo is 3 Kg and their heavy weight sumo is 125 pounds.

Rick