Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EDDIE fans - Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 has shipped — Parallax Forums

EDDIE fans - Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 has shipped

Comments

• TrygveTrygve Posts: 3
    edited 2012-03-09 02:23
    After I installed RDS 4, it seems like nothing works. I try to run the eddie-service from the DSS command prompt but I get red errors saying reference platform IO controller is configured wrong or something.
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-03-09 09:03
    JonnyBritish you beat me to it! We're really excited about the official release of RDS 4.

Trygve, if you do just install RDS 4 without updating anything else, the Eddie service will break. In order to upgrade from beta, you also need to uninstall Kinect for Windows Beta 2 and install the official release of Kinect for Windows. There is also an updated Eddie Service that will need to be reinstalled. The updated service and installation instructions are available on www.parallax.com/eddie.

There have also been a couple of updates to the Robot Dashboard. Most notably, obstacle avoidance has been implemented while driving Eddie with the Wireless Xbox Controller. Also, previous bugs pointed out on this forum (inverted left/right & B button not disabling motors) have been fixed.

If you would like to use the Robot Dashboard without obstacle avoidance, you can do so using EddieDirect.cmd script instead of Eddie.cmd.

Enjoy!
  • Rick BrooksRick Brooks Posts: 67
    edited 2012-03-09 14:30
    There have also been a couple of updates to the Robot Dashboard. Most notably, obstacle avoidance has been implemented while driving Eddie with the Wireless Xbox Controller. Also, previous bugs pointed out on this forum (inverted left/right & B button not disabling motors) have been fixed.
    Enjoy!

Wonderful...thank you!

Rick
  • edited 2012-03-09 20:52
    After assembling Eddie, what are the steps I can follow to load the required software to the computer and a demo example so I can see Eddie roaming the room as you said in Eddie page.

Is there any PDF file that has all the steps regarding the software similar to the one you have for assembling the hardware.
    Thank you
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-03-10 11:17
    Yes, there are! The last two documents on the Eddie page, ParallaxServiceRDS4InstallGuide-v1.1 and Parallax Service for RDS4 are what you'll need.

Let us know if you run into any problems!
  • JossMillerJossMiller Posts: 10
    edited 2012-03-10 13:29
    The Visual Studio configuration for the IO controller is whack. trevtay and drwho have their directories in a lot of places and after I removed them and built it, it won't run because it's looking for something on trevtay's drive. I can't find that setting. Just an FYI.

I want to add some devices to the controller, so I hope you can get a clean solution file for us.

I am using the Windows Kinect device now. Works well with MRDS 4.0. Such power in a sensor package.
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-03-10 22:30
    Joss,

In the setup instructions that come in the Eddie firmware package there is a section that talks about modifying the Propeller code. It mentions a setup script that you have to run. Sorry, I'm not at the computer that has the info so that I could give the exact wording. It essentially runs the DSSProjectMigration tool that fixes all of the path references and pointers to your key etc. Just run the script and re-open VS and the IO controller will compile.