Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SERIN Basic Stamp 1 — Parallax Forums

SERIN Basic Stamp 1

cheeeseyfrycheeeseyfry Posts: 4
edited 2012-03-07 21:04 in BASIC Stamp
Hey, I just have a quick question. If i'm using the SERIN command on the Basic Stamp 1, i need to choose a pin to take input from. What if I'm trying to use the programming cable to receive data? I know that on the Basic Stamp II you use p16 or something, but i can't seem to find information on this for the basic stamp 1 anywhere. Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-07 19:43
    There is no equivalent to "pin 16" on the BS1. You can use any I/O pin with the SERIN statement, but you'll have to provide a separate serial channel to your PC. The programming cable can't be used. There are examples of connecting an I/O pin to a PC's serial port output with a series resistor, usually about 22K. You can use a USB to RS232 adapter the same way. See the Stamp Editor's help files for details in the section on the SERIN statement.
  • cheeeseyfrycheeeseyfry Posts: 4
    edited 2012-03-07 19:56
    So there's no way to use the serial port on the chip to receive data? It canonly​ be used for programming?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-03-07 21:04
    Yes. There's really not a "serial port". The BS1 was originally designed to use a PC's parallel printer port for programming. Even though the communications with the PC was 4800 Baud serial, it was never designed for general purpose serial I/O and the SERIN statement has no access to those I/O pins. Remember that all serial I/O is done through software and there's no serial hardware going to waste.