Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SpindleBots - Construction artilce in April 2012 SERVO magazine — Parallax Forums

SpindleBots - Construction artilce in April 2012 SERVO magazine

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2012-03-21 19:22 in Robotics
I designed these SpindleBot robots many, many years ago and finally had an opportunity to write them up! The article is due out in the upcoming April 2012 issue of SERVO magazine. It is more about the construction of the robot and how to build one instead of focusing on a particular processor. Just about any one of your favorite chips can be used. Think of it as a Boe-Bot or Scribbler in a CD case. They all use a CD/DVD Spindle as a base and use the cover to keep a nice finished look on the completed robot. The first one used the original BASIC Stamp 1, the followup version and OEM BS2SX on a special CDP2 CD PCB prototype board, and the last version uses several prototype boards stacked up and has run both a BS2p40 and one of my prototype 40-pin DIP Propeller modules. Just about any CD/DVD Spindle can be used.

To help classify the robots I used the old floppy drive scheme. 100 CD Spindle (Full Height), 50 CD Spindle (Half Height), and 25 CD Spindle (Quarter Height). The article will have a handy template that will make it easier to cut out the base and mark the location for the mounting holes. These robots also use some other recycled components like the wheels and the article covers some other parts that can be used as well. The latest build of the SpindleBot packs quite a bit in a small space and it much more refined than the first robot.

Everyone that has seen these in person really likes them and I thought it was long overdue to start writing about these and get some pictures posted.

If you read the article and have any questions about the construction let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Best Regards,

Robert

SpindleBot_V2_a.jpg
artist.jpg
spindlesizes.jpg
spindlebot_V3_c.jpg
1024 x 1234 - 113K
1024 x 768 - 72K
1024 x 1071 - 118K
1024 x 852 - 79K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-03-05 11:35
    Can't wait to see the article, Robert! I'll have to check my CD inventory. :smile:

These look like fun kid-oriented projects (even for us older kids!). I like the junk-drawer, reused parts projects.

Thanks for sharing!
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-03-05 11:47
    That's awesome. It even looks nice too.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-03-05 13:18
    Those are so cool!

Ugh! I already have too many projects, now I have to make one of these.

I think mine will need at least one ring of LEDs.

I look forward to reading the article.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-03-05 13:23
    Awesome project!

Can a Spindlebot do a figure 8? :)
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-03-05 20:18
    That project gets two thumbs up...:thumb::thumb:
    Zip ties rule!, what is that you have strapped down? looks like the motor mounts.

oh, and +1 on the figure 8...

-Tommy
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-03-05 20:23
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    what is that you have strapped down?

I bet three zip ties the zip ties are holding CR servos in place. If you look at the wheels, you can see the white servo horns.

I also +1 on the figure 8. How many +1s does it take to get someone to do a figure 8? Eight?
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-03-05 20:57
    There are two zip ties on the base. Each one helps secure a servo modified for continuous rotation. Each servo also has a piece of double faced tape holding it to the base. The tape is trimmed to clear part of the hub and keep the servo's level. There should be some detailed pictures in the article. Once it comes out I'll add some of the images that didn't make it into the magazine.

Robert
    edited 2012-03-07 06:58
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Those are so cool!

Ugh! I already have too many projects, now I have to make one of these.

I think mine will need at least one ring of LEDs.

I look forward to reading the article.

If you end up building one of these SpindleBot robots I have the Prototype PCB's on hand to make these so you can take advantage of the form factor. I had also used one of these CD PCB boards to create a hand wired Hydra in a CD case.

Robert
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-03-08 06:51
    I may well have to try this out. Would be a neat inexpensive platform to experiment with.
    edited 2012-03-21 13:16
    For those of you that subscribe to SERVO magazine and have access to the Digital version you can read this article now! It just came out today. I was pleasantly surprised to see the SpindleBot robots featured right on the front cover.

http://www.servomagazine.com/index.php/magazine/issue/2012/04

It should be clear from all the pictures in the article just how these are assembled but I'll be glad to answer any questions that come up.

If you build your own version I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Robert
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-03-21 19:22
    Way to go Robert. I just gave it a quick read. Lots of good information!!

(and way to go Gordon (again) and Parallax for some ELEV-8 press)