Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Malfunctioning Software or hardware? Ugly lines — Parallax Forums

Malfunctioning Software or hardware? Ugly lines

SteveMSteveM Posts: 4
edited 2012-03-06 11:21 in Accessories
I'm disappointed in the PropScope.
Was so excited when I received it with the BOE and was looking forward to performing the excercizes.

I worked through the BOE, completed most of them, decided to take on Understanding Signals, installed software on the Win7 machine I had put far away which I bought used.
I run Slackware on all of my machines and dug this the HD for this machine out only because the PropScope software does not run in the Wine emulator (which by itself is disappointing).

Anyway. I power up the PS software and set everything up to perform the first excercise from the Understanding Signals book.
At first there was no change in the lines when I powered up the board, I restart the software and I gut ugly squiggly lines, turn the board off the lines remain, restart the software the lines straighten out.
Turn the board on the lines and depending on how things go the lines may show an accurate measure of 5 and 9 volts +/- or they may not. If they do and I turn the board off again the lines become
jagged.

There is no rhyme to this.

How can I fix this?!?

Comments

• SteveMSteveM Posts: 4
    edited 2012-03-03 22:15
    Unplugged and plugged the USB cable that came with again (after several tries prior), heard a little crunch.
    Took the box apart and the soldering points for the usb port on the back of the PropScope let go (poor workmanship, fine whatever).

229 dollars on this I was expecting at least something that functions reasonably well. I bought this from Jameco.

Is the software giving me a crummy readout because of the USB screw up in the back of the PS?

I was fairly satisfied with the BOE the only thing that nags me about it is there is no reasonable Linux software for it.

But the PropScope is just non functioning at all whatsoever.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-03 22:43
    SteveM,

'Too bad it has to be under these circumstances, but welcome to the forum!

Give Parallax Tech Support a call on Monday, and let them help you straighten this out. With damaged hardware, there probably isn't much that can be done here to help until it's repaired or replaced. I think you'll be pleased with the assistance you receive from Parallax! Their customer support is second to none.

-Phil
    edited 2012-03-03 22:56
    Thank you.

I've submitted a support ticket. I hope it goes well.

Take care.
  • rholdridgerholdridge Posts: 1
    edited 2012-03-05 09:44
    Same problem here. Voltage swings of +/- 10V w/ probes grounded.
    Too bad, looking forward to getting a bit of work done.
  • PapaleoPapaleo Posts: 1
    edited 2012-03-06 09:32
    Have you received an answer to the problem? I seem to be having the same issue; was it a hardware or software issue?
    edited 2012-03-06 11:21
    Spoke to Parallax, explained to them.
    I was advised to return to Jameco for an exchange.

Jameco will exchange and they said they will check to make sure that it doesnt happen on the next unit.

Frankly it is my suspicion that there may be a manufacturing issue that needs to be addressed.

I can respect Parallax's efforts to bring a product like this to market, if my suspicion is correct hopefully they will catch this and address this
    so that future units do not have this problem.