Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My New Toy — Parallax Forums

My New Toy

ercoerco Posts: 20,255
edited 2012-03-03 09:36 in Robotics
$150 and $20 in gas later, I brought home my latest Craigslist find today. A dusty plastic bin full of distraction. A used, untested Crustcrawler SG5-UT robot arm. Parallax Boe & servo controller boards and a loose yellow BASIC Stamp rattling around the bottom of the bin BS2P-24 (?). Didn't have too much time for inspection, and I'm waiting to sneak it into the house later under cover of darkness. Won't the wife be surprised? :)

Will post follow up later unless she breaks my arm. Not sure which arm would be her first choice...

SG5_folded_800.jpg
800 x 600 - 133K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-03-02 18:37
    Nice arm! Hope she doesn't break the new one!! :smile:
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-03-02 19:06
    Congratulations. I also don't feel so guilty about my recent purchase now, so thanks for that.

Given that your arm will heal, but the robot won't. I think you should take one for the team if it comes down to it.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-03-02 19:32
    Sweet! Great price too.

Perhaps you could demo it to your wife holding some jewelry? Actually - if she hasn't ditched you by now - you are probably safe.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2012-03-02 23:29
    erco wrote: »
    $150 and $20 in gas later, I brought home my latest Craigslist find today. A dusty plastic bin full of distraction. A used, untested Crustcrawler SG5-UT robot arm. Parallax Boe & servo controller boards and a loose yellow BASIC Stamp rattling around the bottom of the bin BS2P-24 (?). Didn't have too much time for inspection, and I'm waiting to sneak it into the house later under cover of darkness. Won't the wife be surprised? :)

You could always try... "Look Mom! It followed me home. Can I keep it?". That worked for me a couple of times. Of course that was with a stray cat, not a robot arm. :-)

Amanda
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-03-03 09:36
    The good news: upon closer examination, it's all there and in good shape. In fact, it looks like it might never have been used or even finished. And that loose BS2P24 that was rattling around in the bottom of the plastic bin tested fine, per Tracy Allen's ingenious test at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124744

The bad news: I'm so swamped it'll be a month before I have time to play with it. Ah, well...

IMGP7667.JPG
    612 x 816 - 89K