Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with "OS" for Prop? PropDOS? File transfers? — Parallax Forums

Help with "OS" for Prop? PropDOS? File transfers?

bmb!bmb! Posts: 26
edited 2012-02-21 22:15 in Propeller 1
I have googled a bit but there are so many options... I'm looking for something like PropDOS with file transfer and console redirection capability. Essentially.. I'd like to have the prop using BlueTooth linked a PC with the ability to upload/download (YMODEM, for example) files and run those programs on the remote prop. Storage would use an SD card. I don't mean this as an OS in the true sense of the word, just a front-end for remote operations to a connected prop.

Does something like this exist already? Also is PropDOS still an active project? The website has a last modified date of 2008 and the link is broken.

Thanks, for any help.

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2012-02-21 10:30
    Here's a corrected link for the PropDOS download. (Last version)

http://forums.parallaxinc.com/forums/attach.aspx?a=20884

I honestly haven't returned to PropDOS in favor of working up a GUI based system. It's on my list but is buried below paying projects which I must finish first. Actually, I'd love to see a version of Zmodem worked up for the Propeller. I've spent a little time with it, but haven't gotten it working yet.

/me re-reads post.. Edit: There is another project which I'll release in a week or so that may help you considerably.. Can't talk about it in detail yet, but it's pretty cool..

OBC
  • bmb!bmb! Posts: 26
    edited 2012-02-21 12:04
    Thanks for the response, and the fixed link. As for your upcoming project announcement I await with baited breath... :-)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2012-02-21 21:07
    Take a look at the KyeDos thread of Dracs. He probably has the latest code of anyone in this area atm.

Some other threads are listed in my signature... Look for PropCmd, Sphinx, and og course ZiCog and CPM.

I think Drac has done Xmodem for the prop. I am working (when time permits) on FTF between the PC and SDcards in FAT16/32 and between FAT16/32 and CPM2.2 8MB simulated drives in files on the SD card.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2012-02-21 22:15
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?128779-KyeDOS-an-operating-system-for-the-Propeller&highlight=kyedos

That is the VGA version of Kyedos. There is also a TV version if you want that.

Xmodem runs as a separate program that you can run from kyedos. You can send commands from a program running on the PC to automate the whole process so a download is one click. The xmodem program is set up for VGA to display dots for each 128 byte packet but it could be easily changed to TV.

Kyedos sends output to the serial port, to the display (TV or VGA) and also to a 20x4 LCD if you want to add one of those. Am working at present on adding the ILI9325 display.
  • Here's a corrected link for the PropDOS download. (Last version)

http://forums.parallaxinc.com/forums/attach.aspx?a=20884

OBC

Dear Jeff,

Is there still a place where I can download propDOS?

It seems to be disappeared ....

Thanks in advance!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I have done a Prop OS which is quite extensive. See the link in my signature.