Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SALVAGE TOWN!!! join and help project junkies know where to get parts — Parallax Forums

SALVAGE TOWN!!! join and help project junkies know where to get parts

codevipercodeviper Posts: 208
edited 2012-02-20 21:47 in Robotics
ok i am a big salvager and here are some real good pulls i have.
free NTSC LCD from portable CYBERHOME DVD player.
solar panels from disposed of solar lights (comon for locals to throw them out come winter around here)
and bigest bonus of all static ram from old MOBOs SWEET!

any listing or things to look for can help others find a critical part to do the next big project

tip: cheap companies often use moduals that are pre made for a purpose cyber home cheap portable DVD players used a main board that out put NTSC and then bought a LCD modual pre-made for composite and RGB video.

Comments

• piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2012-02-19 14:53
    There are always lots of goodies in camera flash units.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-02-19 15:23
    Some universities will have a recurring excess equipment sale with things departments on campus don't want any more. My uni has it once a month on Tuesdays, hosted by the physical plant department.

Pretty much any old computer system can have interesting components. Printers and CD/DVD/floppy drives are fun.
  • codevipercodeviper Posts: 208
    edited 2012-02-19 19:38
    thanks. This is a good thing to share as many people who want to get started in electronics projects need a resource to get started, and often the best way is with things on hand.
    I have started a club and the 3 people i already got into electronics have two worries
    1: it is to hard all the terms are confusing and the people who do this type of stuff makes me feel dumb
    2: it will cost to much to do things like robots and DIY computers so i cant afford to do it

so I am trying to get topics to show both are not true

Electronics: a hobby, a carer, a life; you pick ^,^
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-02-20 05:22
    When I worked for Xerox Research (UK), many years ago, most lunchtimes I and a few others used to search through the skips for useful parts and assemblies. They decided to scrap the contents of the bonded store, and anyone could go in and help themselves. I got about 200 house-marked 741 op amps, but I don't think that I ever used more than a couple of them.

It was the same when I worked for Racal. They used to throw out lots of perfectly good components, which some of us rescued.
  • codevipercodeviper Posts: 208
    edited 2012-02-20 21:47
    thanks this is a good thing to share so what im seeing is

look for parts left from others projects that are done/ended/scraped
    employer waste
    sales/auctions of hardware from companies or organizations.
    out of date hardware for still usefull parts.

so many people ask me how i find my parts. if more people post here i will just direct them here for good suggestions.
    as this is a projects forum lets say what we did with our finds so newbies can get a handel on what we can do with the stuff.
    pencil boxes and clear plastic cases make quick cheap housings for my projects.
    and an RC car remote can be modded to send data with little effort will post a block schematic later