Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XB24 Modem Configuration Function Set — Parallax Forums

XB24 Modem Configuration Function Set

jagrifenjagrifen Posts: 36
edited 2012-02-21 15:47 in Accessories
I am new to the Xbee world so please forgive me if I am asking a question that has already been answered. I can't seem to find any documentation that explains what the "Function Set" drop down menu does when using X-CTU to configure an Xbee device. What does this menu actually do? It seems that different firmware versions become available to you when you choose different function sets, but I don't know if I should try using any of them or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2012-02-19 18:13
    There are several different hardware platforms that are called "XBee", and for each one of those platforms there are several different versions of firmware that can be loaded. For example, many series 2.5 XB24-B run the ZB protocol, and for that protocol there are four different main firmware versions, so you have to choose AT mode or API mode, and within each one of those whether the device will be end-point/router or coordinator. Those options will all be on the functions drop-down box. There are also function selections that allow you to choose the older znet firmware, with at least 6 different options, as well as firmware for several of Digi's specialized sensor and adapter modules. The newer XB24-C hardware platform has a more capable processor on board, and all the zigbee options that were separate firmware in XB24-B are now selectable at run time with one firmware.

And, there are fewer options if you are using the XB24-A models. That is series 1. Or 900 MHz XB09-A. There you can have the 802.15.4 firmware or the DigiMesh firmware, plus a number of options for Digi's special sensor and adapter modules. Well, they call XB24-DM a separate device for digimesh, but it is series 1 devices are inter-convertible between 802.15.4 and digimesh. XCTU won't let you load firmware into an incompatible module.
  • jagrifenjagrifen Posts: 36
    edited 2012-02-21 15:47
    Thanks, Tracy, I think it is starting to make sense. I had read somewhere else that the series 1 units could be loaded with the digimesh firmware so after reading your post yesterday I played around a little more with XCTU. I was able to load digimesh firmware by switching device types.
    I never realized how many different Xbee packages were available and I guess that's why all the different function sets were confusing to me.