Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Low cost Xbee relay board? — Parallax Forums

Low cost Xbee relay board?

StephenMooreStephenMoore Posts: 188
edited 2013-01-22 23:28 in Accessories
Has anyone put together a low cost 110VAC relay board with an Xbee radio for remote appliance control? I am looking for something with 4 or more relays with and without a Stamp controller.

Comments

• Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2012-02-22 17:06
    I'd like to develop exactly what you are looking for for my apartment. Whenever I get that project rolling, I'll post the design files here :).
  • StephenMooreStephenMoore Posts: 188
    edited 2012-02-22 21:50
    The NCD stuff looks good.

If a board was designed with a BS2px and an Xbee module it might be possible to access all of the IO on the Xbee (analog and discrete) adding to the existing IO. Then include some SSRs for device on/off: one could be for powering up the whole system from a sleep state.

That would be a very powerful and useful little standalone controller that could be remotely code activated and programmed with all of the power and simplicity of Stamp Basic. The key would be a compact software interface between the Xbee and the Stamp.

I think I might try my hand at designing one these one offs myself.

The board would have some integral relays as well as screw terminals for configurable device IO on the Xbee as well as the uncommitted Stamp IO.

It should also have a math co-processor chip and a battery backed real time chip using I2C so the unit can time its own functions.

And it should have a terminal for 115VAC mains with its own onboard 5VDC/3.3VDC power supply.

If you guys are working on something like this please let me know... I'd like to help. The key will be to make it cheap (and robust).

It would be a great generic controller for automating stuff around the home and shop.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2012-02-29 15:29
    You could also try the following product (coming soon). It would allow you to drive relays from an XBee Module.
  • StephenMooreStephenMoore Posts: 188
    edited 2012-03-10 18:12
    Here is an option that I just found while looking for CPLDs

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/relay-shield-p-693.html?cPath=132_134

I
    t looks like it has the header for Xbee and the price is pretty darn good.
  • chilemikechilemike Posts: 1
    edited 2013-01-22 23:28
    I had the same question a couple months back ago and couldn't find anything that worked for me. So I decided to try to make one myself. I'm almost done with my project and I have a tutorial on what I have been working on. Hope this helps!

XBee Relay Controller

-
    mike