Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Could the spinneret be used as a browser? — Parallax Forums

Could the spinneret be used as a browser?

Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
edited 2012-02-16 15:22 in Accessories
I've got this crazy idea...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?137266-Propeller-GUI-touchscreen-and-full-color-display/page4 post #80 is a little html browser I've been writing for the propeller. It is running in Spin and is only using a couple of cogs and about half the memory so there is lots of room for more code.

The spinneret can serve web pages, right?

Could it also be used as part of a package that can view those same web pages?

What I am thinking is I take that little html browser I have written and add a text input box. Either a touchpad keyboard (see earlier in the thread) or a real keyboard - both are already done. At the top of the browser you type an IP address and hit enter.

This sends some data out of a serial port to a spinneret. Configure a couple of those spare AUX ports as a serial port. So - the data comes into the spinneret, and it handles translating the IP request to something that goes out the ethernet cable (I don't understand that bit much but it is the reverse of serving a page I think). In another room, or anywhere on the net, you have another spinneret that serves up the page.

Keep the html simple and it all should work.

If a spinneret were used as a 'browser', are there any issues with buffer overruns with the serial ports? For instance, I tell it to browse to page x on the internet and it comes back with kilobytes of data. Can the spinneret handle that data coming back and turn it into a serial data stream?

Is this all crazy talk?!!

Comments