Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2 Robotic Contests at the 2012 Parallax Expo — Parallax Forums

2 Robotic Contests at the 2012 Parallax Expo

Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
edited 2012-04-21 14:28 in Robotics
Hello all,

2 contests have just been announced that will be running at the 2012 Parallax Robotics & Microcontrollers Expo in Rocklin, CA on April 13-14. Details and rules can be found at the following links.

Rolling Robot Line Follow Open (LFO)
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/969/Default.aspx

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Flight Competition
http://www.parallax.com/tabid/970/Default.aspx

If you plan on attending the Parallax Expo, please consider entering one (or both!) of these competitions. If you have not yet signed up for the Parallax Expo (which includes the Unofficial Propeller Expo West), you can get your free tickets here: http://parallaxexpo.eventbrite.com/

Cheers, Jen J.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,183
    edited 2012-02-17 09:12
    Game on! I'm going to go for the LFO trophy.
    I'm a little worried about an outdoor environment though... And I thought everybody used white or black tape and this one is shiny...
    I don't like the "remote computer for processing" allowance though... That makes it more of a PC programming competition than a robot competition...
    I think I could just put a cheap camera on a BOE BOT and with a WiFi link and use a supercomputer to follow any line...
    (actually I wonder if a baby monitor to a video capture card would be allowed...)
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-02-17 10:00
    But won't it be fun when the supercomputer controlled robot turns and heads for the street.

John Abshier
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-02-17 10:24
    Rules: "An age limit is placed on the amateur competition; the participant must be 15 years or younger to compete in the amateur competition."

My two-year old Amy is so ready to enter. She's a total button-pushing control freak. No idea where she gets that from.
    edited 2012-02-17 15:13
    I wonder how level LFO course will be... I'd like to use my new ArdBot (Propeller Quickstart Powered), but I could have trouble if there's a big bump or valley on the course...
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-02-17 18:49
    As I recall, the parking lot is flat, but could possibly be covered in paint balls and scattered Elev_8 peices... :)

-Tommy
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-02-17 23:47
    Awesome! Line following AND a bomb drop!

Too bad the weight limit rules out a couple of my robots, including the QuadRover.
    edited 2012-02-18 09:16
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    As I recall, the parking lot is flat, but could possibly be covered in paint balls and scattered Elev_8 peices... :)

-Tommy

Will the line-following lines go right over the scattered ELEV-8 pieces? :)

large_paintedroadkill.jpg
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-02-18 12:42
    Questions about the UAV competition:

1. Is any part of the competition required to have the vehicle controlled autonomously?
    2. Are there provisions for high wind situations?
    3. Can you provide some diagrams to help clarify?
    4. What is the weight and size of the baseballs?
    5. How many spotters are required, and must they be provided by the competing teams?
    6. Will the competition area have any vertical obstructions?
    7. Must a vehicle remain in the "area"? (see also 15)
    8. Does the remaining time after all three balls are placed count towards points?
    9. What is the surface of the landing area, for both the vertical lift and airplane?
    10. Can you provide a video of a "sample" contest run?
    11. What environment will be around the barrels (brush, dirt, etc.)
    12. What is the ground structure like of the competition area (level, constant slope, hilly, etc.)
    13. Is their a weight limit for craft?
    14. Where will the baseballs be at the start of the competition, and are team members allowed to attach them to the craft?
    15. Can you provide definitions of the various terms (holding area, landing strip, flight area, target zone, field, landing zone (L.Z.), runway, course have all been used in the rules...)
    16. Specifically, when can a team member be in a particular area and when can they not, during the competition (for each area in 15).
    17. Can a ball be placed multiple times in a barrel for multiples of that point value?

I'd like to propose the following addition to the rules:
    -All vehicles must have a remote kill switch that will immediately cut power to all motors, and which is given to the judges to use in the event that a craft is deemed dangerous during the competition. All teams must be able to demonstrate this functionality before the competition. If a kill switch is used the team may attempt to recover the craft and continue the competition, in which case the clock will continue to count.

This rule helps to minimize the danger a wayward craft has to spectators.

All in all, it seems like fun but I think the rules are under specified. I think one of the most important missing pieces is a diagram of the flight area with consistent labeling, but all the questions I've posed are important.
    edited 2012-02-18 12:56
    I think a remote kill switch controlled by the judges is not necessary and would add to the complexity and possibly increase the chance of mishap. The requirement to hand over an auto-destruct button to a third party will likely reduce the number of willing participants.

Every pilot will already have to demonstrate that they can control the vehicle in order to compete.
    edited 2012-02-18 20:42
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I think a remote kill switch controlled by the judges is not necessary and would add to the complexity and possibly increase the chance of mishap. The requirement to hand over an auto-destruct button to a third party will likely reduce the number of willing participants.

Every pilot will already have to demonstrate that they can control the vehicle in order to compete.

And if a quadrotor flies towards a group of people, hits them, and keeps spinning despite the frantic commands of the pilots? Most vehicles will probably be controlled by amateurs, with amateur code (myself included). I'd rather crash a $1000 quadcopter than deal with a $10,000 lawsuit.

As a side note, the rules don't specify a mandatory safety check (or vehicle control check)...
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-02-18 22:22
    This action would result in immediate disqualification of the contestant from said contest,
    Also, the errant contestant will have to endure the shame of severe heckling from the non injured of said crowd.
    This will serve to teach others that might think lightly of "flight control"...
    Besides, you don't wanna live forever do ya?

Helmets, Chest protectors, and Welding gloves will be mandatory on the flight line, oh, eye protection too..
    and warm jackets, and fuzzy ear muffs... but, NO bare feet, or any footwear with bunny rabbit parts allowed...

Yes erco, I think they should have a four wheel drive division too.
    It does seem to be a "run what ya brung" kind of contest, so be ready for anything, I guess.

-Tommy
    edited 2012-02-18 23:05
    SRLM wrote: »
    As a side note, the rules don't specify a mandatory safety check (or vehicle control check)...

You're right, I don't see it.

I would recommend that the vehicles be required to pass a safety check.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-02-18 23:07
    There's a lot of open area around Parallax HQ, so maybe they plan to do this offsite. I'd be a little concerned about this, as well, considering window glass, cars parked in the parking lot, and so on.

I also think they need to rethink using a baseball for the drop device. It's too heavy and hard, so it's probably not allowed by the regs -- most similar contests for R/C planes use lightweight plastic "bombs," or at most, things like plastic Easter eggs filled with talc, baby powder, or even flour.

Another idea: take a cue from Mr. Carlson from the late-70s TV show WKRP, and drop live turkeys from the quadcopters. "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-02-18 23:20
    Best WKRP ever. Another great Thanksgiving turkey comedy was the Cheers' food fight at Carla's house. Gobble Gobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-xXclsEL8
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2012-02-19 08:47
    Questions about the UAV competition:
    4. What is the weight and size of the baseballs?

By definition, a baseball is "9 to 9.25 inches or 22.86 to 23.495 centimeters in circumference." That means that the diameter is between 2.864788975 and 2.944366447 inches or 7.276564 and 7.478691 centimeters (an average of 2.904577711 inches or 7.377627 centimeters).The weight is defined as, "between 5 and 5.25 ounces or 141.747615625 and 148.8349964063 grams."
    edited 2012-02-19 11:12
    As a side note, the forum Contest and Events page needs to be updated:

http://forums.parallax.com/content.php?6-contests-and-events
    edited 2012-02-19 11:15
    As a side note, the forum Contest and Events page needs to be updated.

I second that. I don't see a plywood chassis, relay-controlled BS2-based odometry robot division.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-02-19 15:05
    No, but I hear MattG is pushing for a knotty pine robo-derby. Okay if it doubles as a pipe rack, even if dad doesn't smoke. Black walnut stain and shellac from 8th grade shop class are optional! :smile:

-- Gordon
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2012-02-21 16:38
    Hahahahaha, you guys' comments crack me up!

Lemme answer some questions about the LFO: the course will be located in the shipping/receiving area in the back of the building. Relatively flat, minor asphalt bumps - certainly no bumps bigger than a mound of Elev-8 parts :D.
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2012-02-21 16:53
    Rayman wrote: »
    Game on! I'm going to go for the LFO trophy.
    I'm a little worried about an outdoor environment though... And I thought everybody used white or black tape and this one is shiny...
    I don't like the "remote computer for processing" allowance though... That makes it more of a PC programming competition than a robot competition...
    I think I could just put a cheap camera on a BOE BOT and with a WiFi link and use a supercomputer to follow any line...
    (actually I wonder if a baby monitor to a video capture card would be allowed...)

Eh, I don't see how moving the source of the computational horsepower makes a difference. The remote computer still has to tell the robot how to move. The system also has to deal with latencies associated with wireless communications and processing overhead. More work, IMHO.

What are your fears, Rayman? If they are well founded, perhaps that allowance should be removed...
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2012-02-21 16:57
    To answer some of the questions that have been brought to everyone's attention. The UAV competition will not have any part of it that utilizes autonomous crafts, as that is a big no-no with Uncle Sam! All crafts will be UAV's, exactly as the name states: "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles", not Autonomous Aerial Vehicles. The competition is going to be held off site, at an empty lot behind Parallax. No vehicles will be allowed around the flight area, as it is a short 2-3 minute walk from Parallax to the competition area. I will get a map of the area with the defined "terms" included on it for clear labeling and utilization from all teams. This will help give you all a feeling for the area that you will be flying in.

A kill switch is not going to be used as spectators and other participating teams will all be inone location, and wondering spectators will be kept to a minimum. A kill switch would also leave the door open to a higher amount and possibly worse crashes, as being a third party watching a craft, a judge would not have the same feeling for a craft and may kill the craft, thereby creating a collision or crash, when the pilot was simply banking into a turn or getting a better position.

I will answer all of SRLM's questions in the morning, but I just wanted to hit on a few of the points that I saw early on. If you guys have anything else, any other ideas or the competition or along those lines, please let me know!

Thanks guys,
    Nick
    edited 2012-02-22 06:25
    What are your fears, Rayman? If they are well founded, perhaps that allowance should be removed...

I'm just afraid of losing... :) I think a remote computer based approach could always win, but your right, it'd be a lot more work.
    I suppose both approaches should be allowed...
    edited 2012-03-13 11:44
    Here is a rough map drawing of the competition area for the UAV Competition area. We will be posting a video that we took of the area here soon once it is done being edited for all to see! It should be a good day of flying!!
    819 x 574 - 526K
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-03-13 12:02
    Nernst wrote: »
    Here is a rough map drawing of the competition area for the UAV Competition area. We will be posting a video that we took of the area here soon once it is done being edited for all to see! It should be a good day of flying!!

Nick,

Will there be goats involved? Seems like a good chance to check out an avoidance system. :)

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?122725-Goats-at-Parallax&highlight=goats
    edited 2012-03-13 12:09
    I dont know, but it would be crazy if they were in that field on that day!! cough cough!!!!
    edited 2012-03-13 13:07
    Are you guys sure there's no "Figure 8s Around the Plates" contest? Seems to be catching on... :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-03-13 13:58
    erco wrote: »
    Are you guys sure there's no "Figure 8s Around the Plates" contest? Seems to be catching on... :)

How 'bout two helium balloons at, say 20' to resemble dinner plates. Quad copters have to do the course. But...there must be two at the same time...one going clockwise and the other anti-clockwise. (I love using that term) :)

Sell more crash kits!

Jim
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-03-14 13:21
    Knees are gone (good riddance) and perhaps memory is following. I though the line following course was going to be posted yesterday. Links on the Expo page http://forums.parallax.com/content.php?57-Robotics-Microcontrollers-Parallax-Expo return a 404 error message. I am working on code for the TSL1401 line sensor. Tomorrow I will go outside to see if my code is just an intellectual exercise in bright sunlight.

John Abshier
    edited 2012-03-14 15:16
    I am guessing that this has been discussed internally, but

Why is the spectator area and flight area on the street on the opposite side from Parallax? I estimate that it's a half mile walk to go all the way around, which is a bit much. Most people will just stand on the side of Atherton Rd instead of walking, and then you have an uncontrolled crowd.
    Also, if this is the final layout will W. Oaks Blvd be closed to vehicular traffic? I assume city approval would be needed.
    Finally, what are the dimensions of the runway for fixed wings, and is it paved?

Will this area be open for flying during non competition times?

A portapotty at the flight line would also be nice instead of walking back all the way around the block.

Sorry for so many questions and comments...
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2012-03-14 16:37
    erco wrote: »
    Best WKRP ever. Another great Thanksgiving turkey comedy was the Cheers' food fight at Carla's house. Gobble Gobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-xXclsEL8

Greatest WKRP ever!