Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
433 RF transceiver operation below 32 degrees? — Parallax Forums

433 RF transceiver operation below 32 degrees?

james.nightjames.night Posts: 1
edited 2012-02-19 00:43 in Accessories
Anyone know why a Parallax 433mhz RF transceiver is only rated to operate in 32 degrees F minimum? I want to use mine for something outside, but live in a cold climate where temperatures will often fall below 32. Will low temperatures just affect the transceiver's performance, or will the low temperature actually damage it? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-02-12 14:27
    It won't be damaged, but it might not work properly.
  • groggorygroggory Posts: 205
    edited 2012-02-12 14:43
    If you have power to spare you could always add a thermisister to your circuit and when the temperature falls below a certain temperature you apply power to say a 5W sand cast resistor to use as a heater to bring it back within specs. In a closed box that should work well. You could even mount your circuit inside a non-metallic thermos to help out.
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2012-02-19 00:43
    I have been using the older Parallax 433 transmitter for years now in all kinds of temperatures. I have damaged one but that's not because of temperatures, it was damaged in a heavy hail-storm when the transmitter was on a pole on top of the roof. The problem with electric weather was eliminated by moving the transmitter below the roof.
    I have been using the transmitter in temperatures below to minus 30 C without problem. The problem was the BS2pe that went into sleep at -28C. I used a little 12V light bulb to heat the BS later. The transmitter has never needed any external heating but a heat resistor or light bulb would be a good idea just in case.