Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Question - Button Switch Circuit — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Question - Button Switch Circuit

BrianZBrianZ Posts: 28
edited 2012-02-12 14:15 in BASIC Stamp
Ref: page 139 of the Basic Stamp 2.2 manual. (http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/web-BSM-v2.2.pdf)
BasicStampButtonSwitchCircuit.jpg

My question is about the switch circuit illustrations shown for use with the Button command. Does the I/O pin sink any current or does it only see the voltage that is present on the other side of the 220 ohm resistor? I expect it is the latter, as I don't know how it would work otherwise, but wanted to make sure I understand how the Stamp pins handle this. More importantly, I know the BS2 is limited to 50mA per 8 I/O pins, and that would limit the number of switches if each was sinking 23 mA. If someone can confirm this for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-02-12 13:30
    When set as an INPUT, the Stamp's I/O pins are high impedance (or very high impedance). As such, there is very little current (negligible) involved. It's like a voltmeter (one worth having) that way, a neutral observer - it doesn't become part of ("load") the circuit.
  • BrianZBrianZ Posts: 28
    edited 2012-02-12 14:15
    Great, thanks very much. As I suspected then, so that will work out fine since I have a set of DIP switches I want to use as inputs.