Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Xbee 802.15 unable to communicate with micro (Help!) — Parallax Forums

Xbee 802.15 unable to communicate with micro (Help!)

RalphGJRRalphGJR Posts: 3
edited 2012-02-12 19:27 in Accessories
I have a couple of XBee 802.15.4 with chip antenna. I am trying to setup a wireless serial communication between a PC and a micro. Between two PCs, the modules work perfectly; however, when I try to establish a connection between a PC and a micro, no data is received from the micro. When I connect the micro to the serial port, and using hyper-terminal...Everything works fine. So I know the micro is working just fine.
Is there a specific configuration that I should use when connecting with a micro and a PC using these modules?
I am using default baud rate on all units.

Thanks.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-02-10 08:40
    Could you tell us how you are connecting the xbee to the micro and how you are sending the data?
  • RalphGJRRalphGJR Posts: 3
    edited 2012-02-10 09:28
    The xbee is connected to the micro through and RS-232. The idea is to have a wireless serial line, that's all. Again, the xbees work between two pcs. And the micro works fine with a serial line connected to a pc.
    From the xbee, I am only using Din, Dout, Gnd, and +5v (which goes to adapter and gets changed in 3.3v for the xbee). All un-used pins on the xbee with the RS-232 are floating. I am using the default baud rate on everything.
    edited 2012-02-11 17:51
    what code are you running on the micro and what adapters are you using?
  • RalphGJRRalphGJR Posts: 3
    edited 2012-02-12 19:22
    @Franklin ,
    thanks for your help. I have figured out the problem
    I am using the xbee parallax adapter and running c-code on a freescale micro
    Apparently when connecting the xbee with the micro, tx and rx has to be reversed at the 9-pin d-sub.
    edited 2012-02-12 19:27
    Yes, in most cases tx on one device needs to go to rx on the other and viceversa on the rx line. This is confusing to some until they try it and then you won't forget the next time. Good luck with your project.