Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TCS3200EVM questions — Parallax Forums

TCS3200EVM questions

sebywebsebyweb Posts: 2
edited 2012-02-09 09:51 in Accessories
Hi All

It is my first post in this forum, and I ask about the colour sensor.

I need a colour sensor for colorimeter application (color searching), so I would to buy a TCS3200EVM from Taos provided by local distributor.
I think that is the system shown in the second page of this document http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/acc/TCS3200_doc.pdf
right?

I am new from parallax environment, so the kit provides also the details and software about the programming of the motherboard for general application or you need to buy or downloaded other tools?

Finally, the Kit provides the raw data or implement a calibration process similar the following link ?

http://www.pacer.co.uk/Assets/Pacer/User/Colour%20Sensing%20using%20RGB%20channels.pdf

Regards
Sebastiano

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-02-08 08:31
    Sebiastiano,

Welcome to the Parallax forum!

The color sensor module in TAOS's EVM kit is the same one sold by Parallax. The EVM kit also includes Parallax's BASIC Stamp 2pe Motherboard. To program the BASIC Stamp, all you will need is the BASIC Stamp Editor. If TAOS didn't provide it with the EVM, you can download it for free here:

I'm not sure what software comes with the EVM, so I don't know if TAOS has included anything like what's described in the cited whitepaper. I do know that the system response has changed from that in the paper, since the TCS3200 has slightly different color filters than the TCS230, and both the LED and lens are slightly different from those included with the TCS230EVM. You might wish to contact TAOS tech support for those details.

-Phil
  • sebywebsebyweb Posts: 2
    edited 2012-02-08 23:40
    Hi Phil

Thanks for reply.
    I know the different between the TCS3200 and TCS230.
    My question is referred if the Parallax has implemented a calibration or the board provides only the raw data.
    Finally, In your opinion, how does the measure depend of the light environment ?
    Do we need to cover the sensor with a box in order to light up the sample to measure only with the led?

Regards
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-02-09 09:51
    The only "calibration" software provided is for white balance, which is described in the doc. Ambient light can be negated by taking two samples: one each of RGB with the LEDs off, and one each with them on. Then the ambient response can be subtracted from the total response.

-Phil