Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
5 VDC Sensor Input from Vdd? — Parallax Forums

5 VDC Sensor Input from Vdd?

MooneyguyMooneyguy Posts: 77
edited 2012-02-06 13:10 in Accessories
Do I need to configure a regulated 5 VDC voltage supply, or can I simply use the Basic Stamp 2 Vdd 5V to run a sensor that requires a 5 VDC input with a typical input current of 3 mA? The only thing else being used on the Vdd 5V line is a Tach switch that connects to the VDD which is used when the sensor is turned on. The tach switch is used to store a sensor data point. The sensor accuracy is .25% of span, the output is proportional to the input voltage.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-02-06 10:25
    Yes, you can use the Stamp's built-in 5V regulator to provide a little bit of power for external devices. It's rated at 50mA output which has to include the amount of power used by the Stamp itself. Typically this is less than 10mA. Remember that any current drawn from an I/O pin counts against this (like LEDs). There are also heat issues. I'd keep Vin to well under 9V if you're going to draw close to the 50mA limit. It's best to use a Vin of 6V or greater and less than 8V (4 or 5 alkaline cells or 5 or 6 NiMH cells).
  • MooneyguyMooneyguy Posts: 77
    edited 2012-02-06 13:10
    Thanks Mike. Thanks also for the reminder of the LEDs as I do have one of those running too.