Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB Sensor Leads to XBee — Parallax Forums

USB Sensor Leads to XBee

drmynattdrmynatt Posts: 20
edited 2012-02-04 18:11 in BASIC Stamp
Hi group- I have a USB seismometer sensor that has the 4-leads; +, -, Data (+) and Data (-). I have the power leads figured out (duh) but need to connect the Data leads to my Xbee and not ruin it.

Could someone advise me as to the proper connect point for the Data (+) and Data (-) leads to the XBee?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-02-04 01:09
    Can you give us more information about this sensor.

It sounds like the sensor needs a USB host to operate. If that's the case, then you wont be able to connect it to the XBee. It needs to connect to a computer.
  • drmynattdrmynatt Posts: 20
    edited 2012-02-04 13:13
    I have the USB interface via STAMP Module. Do I just plug the sensor into the STAMP USB port?
    edited 2012-02-04 13:49
    I'm not sure what you mean by "STAMP Module".

I still don't know what your "USB seismometer sensor" is. Do you have a link to it?

I doubt you can plug the sensor into the STAMP's USB port. Your sensor probably needs a USB host. USB hosts are generally computers.
  • drmynattdrmynatt Posts: 20
    edited 2012-02-04 15:08
    My sensor is from Stanford (http://qcn.stanford.edu/ ) and is used to monitor large motion quakes. It connects to the PC directly and uses the special software they developed. What I am attempting to do is remote the sensor via XBee. I have the Basic STAMP Homework Board (USB) and both the local and remote XBee Pro modules.

The plan is to use XBee to remote the USB sensor from a location back to the PC that exceeds the maximum USB cable distance.

Does that make sense? A simple 'extend the USB leads' design, I think.

Thanks,

Dave
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-02-04 15:39
    I think you would be better off asking the Stanford guys as they would know the equipment but you can't connect directly to USB slave devices without a host and neither the xbee or the stamp is a host.
    edited 2012-02-04 15:49
    There are wireless USB hubs that work on some operating systems and some devices.

Could you use a netbook or some other small computer to interface with the sensor? I think you might have a tough time coming up with a wireless solution.

If the amount of data being transfered isn't real high, then you might be able to bypass the USB interface on the device to transmit the data (I'm going to bet this is a long shot though).
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-02-04 16:27
    The Standford USB sensor is a direct-wired USB slave device. The Homework board is a direct-wired USB slave device. You cannot connect two USB slave devices to each other. Each has to be connected to a USB host, and each needs its own host-resident driver to communicate.

-Phil
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-02-04 18:11
    You want a wireless USB port extender. Available online but be prepared to spend some money on anything with a distance beyond the room you're in. Gefen makes some in the $200 to $300 range, with a clear range of about a hundred feet.

Trying to use XBee as the hop between the the USB sensor and the PC isn't going to work, as XBee is much, much slower than even the slowest speed of USB. Bluetooth might manage it, but you'd have to investigate if the sensor requires a specific data transfer speed.

-- Gordon