Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
need help to interface Parallax Propeller with MICAz mote — Parallax Forums

need help to interface Parallax Propeller with MICAz mote

rook128rook128 Posts: 8
edited 2012-02-04 16:57 in Accessories
hi,
i have to interface a parallax propeller chip with a MICAz mote. i have with me just the prop chip and not any board. ive been able to download programs into the prop using rs232 connection with my computer and they work fine. ive also tried working with the Parallax Serial Terminal, and ive been able to receive characters from the propeller correctly.
the MICAz has USART interface.

help with this interface is required.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-02-02 20:37
    Do you have a datasheet for the MICAz and a drawing of how you have the propeller wired? It would help.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2012-02-04 16:57
    That's not an easy question! I guess it depends on what level you want to get into it. The data sheet is found on the Memsic web site. The mote platform developed out of the university, using the ChipCon (now TI) CC2420, which is a 802.15.4 transceiver module, and an Atmega128L processor running the TinyOS open source radio protocol stack alongside application firmware. It was commercialized through Crossbow, and the product line was bought up not long ago by Memsic. When your system talks to it via the USART, it is really talking to whatever firmware is installed on the Atmega. If you want, you can look up the wiki's for tinyOS and the component parts and really dig into it. On the other hand, it may be that it will come to you with particular firmware pre-installed, and that is what you have to know.