Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie Movements — Parallax Forums

Eddie Movements

william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
edited 2012-02-01 04:37 in Robotics
Hey,

It seems like when Eddie is travelling forward, it's ramping up and down speed is smooth according to the acceleration value set to 07h.
But when Eddie is travelling backwards, the ramping down speed is not as smooth and it seems to stop suddenly.

Also if a STOP 10 command is issued when Eddie is travelling backwards, it can cause sudden very strong jerks.
Stopping while travelling forward does not have this issue.

Currently using Firmware v1.1

Comments

• nglordinglordi Posts: 114
    edited 2012-01-30 21:23
    I noticed the same phenomenon - if you execute a stop command when Eddie is moving backwards. the wheels increase in speed and Eddie stops suddenly. I am controlling Eddie using a XBee wireless connection. I have modified Firmware 1.1 to communicate through an XBee added to the Eddie platform. There are still some bugs in the code which I have to resolve before posting it on the forum.

NickL
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-02-01 03:11
    Why can't Eddie use S2 ramping and encoder code which is tested and proven?
    This will speed up the firmware development.
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2012-02-01 04:37
    William,
    Normally the controllers on the wheels control the speed and direction of the motor as their output is normally sent to the HB-25 motor drivers. However in this case Parallax seems to only use the motor controllers on the wheels to determine distance and direction as they do not control the HB-25 motor drivers on the EDDIE Propeller Controller Board. I have a Propeller board interfaced to the controllers on the wheels and the output of those controllers interfaced to the HB-25s as is normally done. I have no problem controlling the motors in this configuration. Either backwards or forwards. Parallax definitely needs to correct the V 1.1 code to work correctly with their interface.
    Just a thought.
    Regards,
    TCIII