Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
connecting power supply to BOE — Parallax Forums

connecting power supply to BOE

edited 2012-01-25 12:51 in BASIC Stamp
I have read the statement below.

How do I power the BASIC Stamp module?
The BS1 and BS2 modules both require 5 volts DC (Vdd) or 5.5 to 15 volts DC (Vin). The BS2e, BS2sx, BS2p24, BS2p40, BS2pe and BS2px24 all require 5 volts DC (Vdd) or 5.5 to 12 volts DC (Vin). All Stamps feature an on-board 5-volt regulator which will convert an input of 5.5 to 12 volts (5.5 to 15 volts for the BS1 and BS2) on the Vin pin down to the 5 volts that it’s components require. If your power supply is 5.5 to 12 volts (15 volts for the BS1 and BS2), you should connect it directly to the Vin and GND pins or to the battery clips on the development board. The Vin and GND pins are pin number 1 and 12 on the BASIC Stamp Rev. Dx module, pin number 1 and 2 on the BS1-IC or pin number 24 and 23 on the BS2-IC, BS2E-IC, BS2SX-IC, BS2P24-IC, BS2PE-IC and BS2PX24-IC (40 and 39 on the BS2P40-IC). If your power supply delivers a regulated 5 volts, you should connect it directly to the +5V (Vdd) and GND pins (2 and 12 on the BASIC Stamp Rev. Dx, 5 and 2 on the BS1-IC, and 21 and 23 on the BS2-IC, BS2E-IC, BS2SX-IC, BS2P24-IC, BS2PE-IC and BS2PX24-IC (37 and 39 on the BS2P40-IC). NOTE: When using battery or wall-pack power supplies, it is recommended to limit the voltage to 9 volts on the Stamp 1 and Stamp 2, and 7.5 volts on the Stamp 2e, Stamp 2sx, Stamp 2p, Stamp 2pe and Stamp 2px.

Now I need to make sure of what it is saying before I attempt any smoke testing. I have a standard BS2 on the BOE rev C. I want to power this with a 12v wall wart (1A current). Reason being, I can also use the 12v to power a relay that I am using for a project, Not to mention buying batteries add's up.

My question: How can I connect my power supply to the BOE? AND do I need to change the jumper from VDD to VIN?

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-01-24 17:42
    AND do I need to change the jumper from VDD to VIN?
    The jumper you mentioned is for the servo connectors, determining whether to run those from Vdd or Vin.

"12V, 1A" It's probably not regulated, so I wouldn't use it -- I bet it'll be around 18V with no/little load. Extreme that.
    How can I connect my power supply to the BOE?
    You could solder the stripped leads to a coax connector, centre-positive. Or, if you're really aware, you could solder the stripped leads to alligator clips and put those on the BoE's battery terminals
  • edited 2012-01-24 18:03
    Perfect! I knew you were the man to handle this for me. Now if only I can delete that other thread...
  • edited 2012-01-25 12:51
    ok well I connected my Multi meter directly to the power supply with nothing else connected to the circuit, simply a wal wart with bare wires touching the leads of the meter. I was reading a steady 11.88V, could this mean the power supply is in deed regulated?

Question 2) What if I take ANY mysterious power supply rated at 12v and run it through a voltage regulator and then onto the battery terminals of the BOE, will this redundant system of voltage regulators some how improve the set up?