Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bad IR diode? Not so fast — Parallax Forums

Bad IR diode? Not so fast

smithdavidpsmithdavidp Posts: 146
edited 2012-02-04 04:55 in Accessories
Working on my Boe-Bot I was trying to build the IR circuit from chapter 7 of the book. I soon discovered that it didn't work. I double checked the circuit, and resistors, to be sure I had done it right. But it still didn't work. I then took one of my Television remotes, pointed it at the circuit, and the ones and zeros started changing. I had, in my stupidity, mixed the IR diodes in with some clear diodes. I discovered this when I pluged a clear diode into the circuit and it began to flash. Another indicator that the circuit, and the program, were working. So..... I learned that with a television remote, and a clear diode, I could trouble shoot my IR circuits.

Comments

• DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
    edited 2012-01-27 12:09
    I used the cam on my phone not to long ago to see if one was putting out IR. Just turned on the cam and watched while the diode was working, Don't know if all phones do it or if some filter out IR but a droid 2 worked.
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2012-02-04 04:55
    DocThomas wrote: »
    I used the cam on my phone not to long ago to see if one was putting out IR. Just turned on the cam and watched while the diode was working, Don't know if all phones do it or if some filter out IR but a droid 2 worked.

Cheap digital cameras omit an IR filter so perform best for this - phones usually good. Top-end DSLR is not so good!