Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Continuous Rotation Servo Control. — Parallax Forums

Continuous Rotation Servo Control.

PlusOn3PlusOn3 Posts: 15
edited 2012-01-24 08:23 in Robotics
I just got a couple of the continuous rotation servos and I am having trouble working with them. I understand the coding is different from the standard servo, but I am having a hard time figuring it out.
I am wondering if there is a way to tell the servo to go to a certain position and stop there, or do they just spin for a set amount of time?
I am using a propeller board to control it.

Thanks for any help.
Tyler

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-01-23 14:47
    CR servos have no position control nor position reference, only speed control using standard (1-2 ms pulsewidths) servo control. 1 ms= full reverse, 1.5 ms=stop, 2 ms=full forward.
  • PlusOn3PlusOn3 Posts: 15
    edited 2012-01-23 16:35
    Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-24 06:45
    Tyler,

Dynamixel AX-12A "servos" provide position feedback and are also continuous rotation. They cost $45 but they have other cool features like being able to set torque limits and being able to read torque, temperature and voltage from the controller.

Which Propeller board are you using?
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-01-24 07:15
    If this is a small hobby robot you might want to look at the Lego NXT servos. They are actually motors with built in quadrature encoders, so you need an h-bridge to use them, but they are $17.00 or so.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-01-24 08:23
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    They cost $45 but they have other cool features like being able to set torque limits and being able to read torque, temperature and voltage from the controller.

Next-gen units will read temperature and weather from any city on the globe. :)