Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Switching to Autonomous Mode - New to Robotics Question — Parallax Forums

Switching to Autonomous Mode - New to Robotics Question

stuartXstuartX Posts: 88
edited 2012-02-09 04:58 in Robotics
Hello All.
I'm new to robotics. But I have managed to build a robot with receiver (Spektrum) controlled solely by the transmitter ( Spektrum DX6i). Now that I have that working I'm going to start the processor (Stamp) work/programming with sensors and so on.
How do you switch from transmitter to autonomous mode and back again?

I apologize if this is a basic question.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks (in advance).

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-23 07:09
    You could use the landing gear switch on your radio to switch between modes. The Stamp would monitor the gear line to see when its position changes.

The robot would then need a way of connecting the data lines of your servos and other equipment to the Stamp instead of the radio receiver. This could be done with double throw relays.

How many of the radio's channels does the robot use? You may run into trouble monitoring sensors and driving a bunch of servos within the 20ms refresh period.

With the Propeller, you'd have the Propeller monitor the signal line and just pass the same signal on unless it's in autonomous mode. Myself and a bunch of other people have done this with the Prop.

BTW, This isn't a basic question. I don't think this is a simple task (at least not compared with blinking a LED).
  • stuartXstuartX Posts: 88
    edited 2012-01-23 08:47
    Thanks for the quick information.
    Yes, I thought about the DPDT switch at least manually...lol.
    The robot is currently using four switches which will cut it down to two or three when I introduce the Stamp or Propeller processor.
    I also have the Propeller processor which I'm slowly learning in parallel to doing this project. Is there any documentation and/or links online to help explain how to pass the signal through the Propeller chip like you all have done?

Thanks for the information.
  • stuartXstuartX Posts: 88
    edited 2012-02-09 04:58
    Sorry for the delay, but I been working on a lot of other things involving this robot. But, I found a solution of switching from autonomous mode to transmitter. Although I may have trouble with my sensors involving autonomous (robot roaming on its on), I will not need it because I will have the transmitter. But my other sensors will still be in tact, such as some lights, temperature, etc.
    Thanks all. I'll see you on the next post.