Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Communications drop between PBasic and Windows 7. My intentions for the BOE-BOT????? — Parallax Forums

Communications drop between PBasic and Windows 7. My intentions for the BOE-BOT?????

smithdavidpsmithdavidp Posts: 146
edited 2012-01-23 09:51 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm new so you can expect some pretty stupid questions. Here goes.....

1. When I run a program, out of the Basic stamp editor, it works great on the first pass. After that I get a windows error saying that the communications was lost to the device. It seems like windows 7 is shutting down the com port after the first run. If I turn off the power to the BOE-BOT and turn it back on again then I can continue on. I am running windows 7, 64 bit, on a i7 base computer. I have done everything that I know to do including running under administrator. I have another device that connects through the USB - COM port configuration and it has no problems. The BOE-BOT is on COM 7 and the other device, VRInsight CDU-II is on COM 5.

2. Like I said I am new to this. I want to use the BOE-BOT as a tool. I am wanting to know if I need to move to a different platform to accomplish these tasks. Text to speech, wireless network, position mapping (BOE-BOT knows coordinates of each room in house) and voice command. I would like the BOE-BOT be able to send a signal to my computer that will cause the computer to call 911 with an automated message for help. The software end of it is already installed on my computer. Am I expecting too much from the BOE-BOT that I have now? Can I purchase the daughterboard adapterto add another board to accomplish some of these tasks?

Thanks for reading what a raving lunitic had to ask.

Comments

• smithdavidpsmithdavidp Posts: 146
    edited 2012-01-23 09:51
    Never mind. I bit the bullet and ordered the Propeller series BOE. I looked at the ABBot, 1.0, and discovered that I can do all the things that I want. But going with two boards to do what the Propeller will do with one board has swayed me to just swap the current system out. Now I have to learn a new system.