Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bedside table / remote controlled lamp — Parallax Forums

Bedside table / remote controlled lamp

JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
edited 2012-01-20 05:47 in Robotics
After seeing the remote controlled lamp I made, a friend mentioned she wanted a reading lamp / nightlight, and a surface, like a bedside table without drawers, to put her phone, alarm clock, etc on. She sent me a pic of what looked like a small black skyscraper and said she wanted it to look like that.

I finished it this evening. It's using a Propeller Protoboard as the controller, has an infrared remote sensor connected via JonnyMac's Sony IR reader, and a PWM object I wrote to drive the two LED supplies.

The LED driver boards are these: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9748

They're unique in that you can't drive them high / low like normal PWM - you have to drive them low / floating, which means toggling the pin between an input and an output, instead of toggling the pin value itself.

Each of the two driver modules is connected to 3 high-power LEDs. Each driver puts out 650ma @ 12v. Each LED puts out about 200 lumens, or 1200 total for all 6. The whole shebang is hidden inside a custom box I cut with my CNC with a thin sheet of HDPE acting as a diffuser.

The lamp operates basically identically to my previous remote controlled lamp (I just ported the code and made a few tweaks). It looks really cool, and slightly ominous.

Pics below.
537 x 720 - 57K
537 x 720 - 55K
537 x 720 - 67K
720 x 538 - 82K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-01-20 05:47
    Jason,

That is very cool! It's like a modernized version of Japanese styled lantern tables.

Excellent work blending hobbies!!