Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
robot cat in progress — Parallax Forums

robot cat in progress

Roboticsmaster128Roboticsmaster128 Posts: 32
edited 2012-01-19 20:09 in Robotics
my freind ttailspin on here convinced me that nothings to hard and im am now back on with the robot cat idea!i will be reporting my progress as i build and program the robot cat.:lol:

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-01-19 08:03
    For detecting a moving person, consider using a PIR:

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/pir/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/83/Default.aspx

You probably won't find anything that can recognize human faces for less than (insert your concept for too much money here).
  • Roboticsmaster128Roboticsmaster128 Posts: 32
    edited 2012-01-19 08:11
    Thanx electric eye! Now all I need is cheap 180 and 360 dergrees servos
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-19 08:23
    I'm not sure how many servos a Basic Stamp can control. I think it starts having trouble around four. You'll likely need some sort of external servo controller to controlling a lot of servos.

The additon of
    Please reply!
    to your post isn't likely to help in getting more replies. Some of us cranky old men might consider it rude (not this time but maybe the next:smile:).
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-01-19 10:56
    @Rm128:

Of course, real cats are plentiful and free. Just feed a stray and he's yours... :)

Sounds like a pretty ambitious project. Have you scratch-built a few other robots already? What kinds?
    edited 2012-01-19 11:03
    erco,

How many servos can a BS2 handle before refresh becomes a problem? I'd assume it has a lot to do with what else is going on but do you have a rough estimate?

Is Rm128 going to need some sort of external servo controller? (And I think I agree with your likely choice of ucontroller for this project.)
  • CircuitMageCircuitMage Posts: 62
    edited 2012-01-19 13:00
    +1 on the PIR sensor.

Will your cat purr?
    Screetch, hiss and meow would be fun too. Short sound files too!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-01-19 14:42
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    erco,

How many servos can a BS2 handle before refresh becomes a problem? I'd assume it has a lot to do with what else is going on but do you have a rough estimate?

The most I've personally tried is 3 servos with a vanilla BS2E, which worked fine on a robot arm where not much else was going on:

Four or five might be possible, probably if a faster stamp is used. But things like Sony SIRC IR remote control are out unless you offload to a Servopal, because just reading the IR code can take longer than the 20 ms pause between servo control pulses. Actually less than 20 ms with more than one servo.

I just got a few of these $2 Turnigy servo reversers: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17033

My intent is to reduce processor overhead driving two servos when driving straight. Typically you have to send different opposing pulsouts (like 650, 850) to left & right CR drive servos to drive straight. With a servo reverser on one, you could send 650 to both, or even use one output pin to drive both. Of course then turning becomes a problem. It's never easy...

FYI, those cheapie servo reversers work great, but they are not perfectly centered & symmetrical around 1500 ms, so each servo centerpoint must be recalibrated.

In a related story, these $5 speed controls are only now back in stock at Hobby King, I ordered two:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9090
    This is an airplane throttle, not an H-bridge, so no reverse. But for $10 a pair, it's worth some experimentation. You could always throw in a DPDT reversing relay!
    edited 2012-01-19 18:44
    I have decided that this progect is WAY out of my reach. sorry if i have made any inconvenence to all who has posted or looked here :blank:

Please don't delete posts like this.

It makes all the work others have done trying to help you less meaningful to future readings.

This is bad manners!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-01-19 19:22
    +1 on the PIR sensor.

I see your PIR sensor and raise you one:

12-29-2011.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 70K
    edited 2012-01-19 19:40
    Martin_H wrote: »
    I see your PIR sensor and raise you one:

Can you locate people with that setup? Very cool.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-01-19 20:09
    Duane, that is the idea, we'll know shortly. I just started on this project as a fill in until my stepper controller arrives.