Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
real time remote — Parallax Forums

real time remote

DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
edited 2012-07-18 08:39 in Accessories
Can xbees be used for real time remote control? Or are they more for data transmition at a rate that would not hold up for remote control?

Comments

• RL600RL600 Posts: 40
    edited 2012-01-18 10:19
    Hi DocThomas,

Yes, you can use them for real time remote control. there are two options:
    1. you have two boards (one is controller the other is slave)
    In this option you can program the controller for remote control ( I recommend to use the fast mode, I thought it's called GT3 but I don't know for sure).
    2. you have 1 board and the other xbee is connected to the pc.
    In this case you must have some understanding from programming on the pc (for example java ,delphi or VB.net).
    You need this because PBASIC or X-CTU isn't capable of controlling in real time remote on the PC.
    For doing this you must write a program in a pc programming language and control the PBASIC. This is a little bit tricky, but it must be possible.

RL600
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-18 11:00
    I agree with RL600, XBees are frequently used as a real time remote. What's nice is you can have the XBee send data back to the remote for display.

If you use a second microcontroller as the remote (my favorite way) then the remote can display battery charge and other parameters from the robot.

I've used Wii Nunchucks and PlayStation2 controllers as wireless controllers.

I wouldn't want to control a RC helicopter with a XBee. Some cars would also go too fast to safely control with an XBee but a relatively slow robot should be fine.
  • DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
    edited 2012-01-18 11:08
    Thanks for the quick response. Now I know what to do with some of my free day money.
    edited 2012-01-18 11:25
    What do you want to control with the remote?

Do you have microcontroller in mind for your project yet?

Make sure and learn the difference between Series 1 XBees and Series 2 XBees. One series can not communicate with the other.

I also like the Nordic modules SparkFun sells for wireless communication. They aren't as easy to use (but there is code written to use them) as the XBees are but you can get cheap Nordic modules from Hong Kong for about $3.
  • DocThomasDocThomas Posts: 31
    edited 2012-01-18 12:19
    Was thinking of a Bot using the propeller.
  • radarwhizradarwhiz Posts: 1
    edited 2012-04-12 11:11
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I agree with RL600, XBees are frequently used as a real time remote. What's nice is you can have the XBee send data back to the remote for display.

If you use a second microcontroller as the remote (my favorite way) then the remote can display battery charge and other parameters from the robot.

I've used Wii Nunchucks and PlayStation2 controllers as wireless controllers.

I wouldn't want to control a RC helicopter with a XBee. Some cars would also go too fast to safely control with an XBee but a relatively slow robot should be fine.

I am looking for a way to control a Boe-Bot with basic stamp with a game controller (ps2, x-box, wii, etc.) wirelessly. I've seen the videos with ps2 controllers that are wired but I want to use either xbee or bluetooth from my computer.
    I'm just wondering if there's any way to use the output of the controller in the program code to control the boe-bot in real time.

Duane, you say you've done it? Any advise?

Thanks.
    edited 2012-04-12 12:10
    radarwhiz wrote: »
    I am looking for a way to control a Boe-Bot with basic stamp with a game controller (ps2, x-box, wii, etc.) wirelessly. I've seen the videos with ps2 controllers that are wired but I want to use either xbee or bluetooth from my computer.
    I'm just wondering if there's any way to use the output of the controller in the program code to control the boe-bot in real time.

Duane, you say you've done it? Any advise?

Thanks.

I've use PlayStation 2 controllers and Wii Nunchucks to wirelessly control robots. But I've always used these controllers with a Propeller. I haven't used any of them with a Basic Stamp. I don't know the capabilities of the Basic Stamps to know if it could be done.

My favorite transceiver is the Nordic nRF24L01+ module. I'm working on a remote right now (I took a break from coding to check the forum) that will use a Nordic module, a PlayStation 2 controller with one of Rayman's 4.3" touchscreens (and two Propellers). It will have a couple of extra goodies too. I plan to use it with all (or almost all) my robots.

There's a link to cheap Nordic modules in post #1 of my index. Post #2 has a link to the driver.

I'm not sure what to suggest with regards to the Basic Stamp. Has anyone used a PS2 with it?

I also have used RC equipment to control robots. My PropBOE-Bot uses a RC receiver as did an earlier version of my Mecanum wheeled robot (links to these projects are in post #2 of my index).

I've used XBees in several projects. I acutally have a lot of XBee modules but I have more Nordic modules since I can buy ten Nordic modules for the price of one XBee.

I don't have experience using BlueTooth communication with a microcontroller.

I'll be posting information about my current remote project once I'm a bit further along (or when it works).

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Any advise?
    Get a Prop. It's a great microcontroller to use with robots!

Or if you still want to use a Basic Stamp there are lots of people around here who could help you with your project.
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2012-07-18 08:39
    Radarhwiz,
    Just found this thread, but if you look at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?104579-Another-Modified-BOE-BOT, I have posted the code I used for remote controlling a robot from a computer using a Phillips game controller. The code (both the pbasic and VB) are posted. I used the old bluetooth module, but an xbee would work also. They are just acting as a wireless serial connection.