Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Second robot idea — Parallax Forums

Second robot idea

Roboticsmaster128Roboticsmaster128 Posts: 32
edited 2012-01-21 12:11 in Robotics
I need a second robot idea that is a bit difficult but still not to expencive.I also think that it should have joints.

Please reply!

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-01-18 08:20
    What do you mean by joints? Articulated limbs or a robot arm?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-18 08:45
    I've got a bunch of these cheap servos from HobbyKing.

I have got the itch to build some sort of insect bot with them. It will likely have joints.
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2012-01-18 09:53
    I built an arm for like $5 over the cost of the servos. It actually worked pretty well. It was base pivot, shoulder and elbow. I didn't have a gripper so I glued a magnet on the end :) all from "Stuff" I found at the house + servos. Arms are fairly easy to build, medium difficulty to build well (not like I would know) and easy to show off to friends. I don't know that they really have a use other than a brain challenge project.

Or you could build one like this, get it working perfectly and send me all the code and drawings cause I'm a little frustrated with it at the moment :)
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?135112-Biped-work-in-progress-build-thread

Another idea I've always wanted to do, not really a robot per se, a servo driven egg decorator, servo driven etch-a-sketch, or pen plotter.... Maybe a spirograph?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-01-18 14:07
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I've got a bunch of these cheap servos from HobbyKing.

I have got the itch to build some sort of insect bot with them. It will likely have joints.

I'm with you, Duane. I bought 30x 9-gram servos from Ebay China for a buck each. I figured it was a listing error and the seller would cancel, but here I'm sitting with my big bag of dollar servos, wondering what to do next...

A hexapod walker is def on my to do list, but right now I have a 6-axis mini-arm under construction.

"The total potential here must be nothing less than astronomical!"
  • Roboticsmaster128Roboticsmaster128 Posts: 32
    edited 2012-01-18 16:49
    martin h,im talking about joints made out of servos,and duane degn,thanx for the link,those servos will save me a lot of money
    edited 2012-01-19 07:20
    I'm thinking of making a robot cat, because I haven't found anyone who has made one yet
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2012-01-19 07:38
    I'm thinking of making a robot cat, because I haven't found anyone who has made one yet

A robot that curls up and sleeps on your keyboard? How cool! :tongue:

Amanda
    edited 2012-01-19 07:48
    Ya, I don't have the personality to take care of a real cat so, that's why I'm making a robot cat.
    Here's the link to my project: forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?137352-Robot-cat-in-progress
    edited 2012-01-19 07:54
    My link is not working so in the robot area of the forums look for robot cat in progress
    edited 2012-01-19 15:14

There's not a moment to lose, because Sega has a two year head start: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10143167-1.html

As does Fur Real: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p4o4iG0sUs

And Omron's Necoro has a 6-year head start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dpo7XGBpBU
    edited 2012-01-19 16:39
    ya,about the cat, Ive decided its way out of my reach so still looking for ideas!
    edited 2012-01-19 17:02
    An arm. Simple & functional.
    edited 2012-01-19 18:40
    It might be a good idea to get your first robot up and running. That will help you know what type of second robot is within your abilities.
    edited 2012-01-19 19:49
    I've already done the boe-bot, Duane degn ,I'm just not sure what to do next. Oh,and I'm sorry that I'm making you mad,I will try not to give "bad manners" anymore :blank:
    Ecro,a robot hand is a good idea and I have been thinking about it so a robotic arm will be great just i still need to find a basic stamp servo controller for that kind of project
    edited 2012-01-19 20:27
    I'm sorry that I'm making you mad,I will try not to give "bad manners" anymore

That's good enough for me. I'm not mad any more.

What about adding some sensors to your Boe-Bot? Erco pointed out some $4 dollar ultrasound sensors not long ago. You could use one (or more) to help your Boe-Bot find its way around.
    edited 2012-01-19 20:36
    Your right Duane, those sensors do look very cool yet cheap, thank you!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-01-19 20:38
    Roboticsmaster128,
    Have you gone thru all of the tutorials from your very first post? That will take some well spent time.
    You seem to have the necessary drive, However, you will need to be ready with some patience,
    Robots don't build themselves,(at least not one you can pay for with your allowance..)

I know how it is, I could not wait to see my first "robot" rolling around, and so this is the result...
    InaPinch.JPG

Propeller Proto board, two continuous rotation servos, shirt button tail-drag, and peanut butter jar lids for wheels.
    Not very pretty, (kinda like it's owner..):zombie:

Slow down, Organize your thoughts, take time to figure out what you really want to build.
    I gharrruuntee the FIRST robot you build will NOT be like the one your imagination built up.
    it won't purr like you imagined,
    it won't move like you imagined,
    it won't work like you imagined,
    it will use more battery than you imagined,
    it will not be the color you imagined,
    it will break in places you never imagined,
    So now, take your time and just imagine what your FOURTH robot will do...

-Tommy
    800 x 600 - 415K
    edited 2012-01-20 06:54
    I have already built the boe-bot and that is my fist robot and I kind of want to ether upgrade the boe-bot or build a new robot.the robot you were talking about would do the same exact thing that the boe-bot does so I can upgrade my boe-bot
    Or build an entirely new robot.I do not want to repeat what I have just done but in a worse looking way(no offense).
    edited 2012-01-20 08:22
    No offense taken, I have been ugly for much longer than I was pretty, So I am over it..:smile:

I could/should have been more precise about homebuilding VS commercial parts assembly of a robot...

Was thinking that your second robot could be put together from parts you cut and machine.
    Don't buy any parts, unless you have to, like the Micro-controller, Pings, XBee's, and stuff you can't readily make.
    But everything else could/should come only from the hardware store and recycle bin.. Not as easy as it looks for sure...

Trying to build the ultimate robot on only a second attempt, will result in frustration, epic fail, and increased XBOX 360 time.
    especially if your only experience is from a nicely packaged box with all the parts included...

Here is My second attempt...
    InaPinch2.JPG
    InaPinch.JPG

Again, not so pretty, but much more involved with what direction I wanted to go.

Slow down, show us some links to whatever made you want to build a robot cat in the first place,
    take time to study those for a bit, and see what parts you can duplicate right now.
    I am sure you can make purring sounds and a tail wag with parts you already have laying around the house...

It might be a long time before you have results that are recognizable as a full size house cat...
    You will have to do this a small piece at a time, It won't happen on your second or even fifth try,
    But, if you keep trying, it will happen.. so don't give up just cuz it's inconvenient or hard...

Now get back to work..
    icon_bondage_sml.gif

-Tommy
    800 x 600 - 414K
    432 x 324 - 60K
    100 x 50 - 11K
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2012-01-20 09:18
    .....................a robotic arm will be great just i still need to find a basic stamp servo controller for that kind of project

In my opinion a robot arm is a great first robot to build yourself. And best of all.... you won't need a servo controller!!! Just the Basic Stamp will do nicely.

This is the arm I mentioned building earlier in the post. It really cost me $5 + servos and the Basic Stamp, both of which I already had.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxyh0Ig8W8g
    edited 2012-01-20 13:22
    A BS2 can control 2 or 3 servos continuously, maybe more, depending on what else it is doing.

In some cases, you can juggle resources and simply stop sending pulses to a servo and it will stay there (if lightly loaded) while your uC does other wonderful things. That ignored servo may or may not glitch when you come back to it (you know, like a woman...) and send it pulses again. Depends on the particular servo, load, and application.

Top ten reasons why servos are better than women... (DOH!) To be continued.
    edited 2012-01-20 16:26
    thanx ttailspin,i wont give up,and just to tell you,fails are called prototypes! :lol:
    edited 2012-01-20 16:29
    ecro,im back with the robot cat!
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,102
    edited 2012-01-20 17:15
    thanx ttailspin,i wont give up,and just to tell you,fails are called prototypes! :lol:
    If you've never failed at anything then you weren't setting your sights high enough! How else do we learn?
    edited 2012-01-20 17:21
    ecro,im back with the robot cat!

Who's this 'ecro' guy? :)
    edited 2012-01-20 19:39
    I meant you erco sorry spelling error and driverbob,it was a joke!
    edited 2012-01-20 19:51
    Who's this 'driverbob' guy? :)
    edited 2012-01-21 02:13
    erco wrote: »
    Who's this 'driverbob' guy? :)

Come on, give RoboticsMasher128 a break.
    edited 2012-01-21 09:10
    It's like this....

ecro wanted some mother of pearl for to decorate his git fiddle, so ecro hired DiverBob to pick abalone,
    And so DiverBob had to hire DriverBob to take all the equipment down to thousand steps in shell beach,
    of course RangerBob found out about DiverBob not having the correct permits...
    So stay tuned for LawyerBob, BailifBob, and of course JudgeBob...

I'm gonna go get some KaBobs now...

-TommyBob(no relation)
  • DiverBobDiverBob Posts: 1,102
    edited 2012-01-21 09:35
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    It's like this....

ecro wanted some mother of pearl for to decorate his git fiddle, so ecro hired DiverBob to pick abalone,
    And so DiverBob had to hire DriverBob to take all the equipment down to thousand steps in shell beach,
    of course RangerBob found out about DiverBob not having the correct permits...
    So stay tuned for LawyerBob, BailifBob, and of course JudgeBob...

I'm gonna go get some KaBobs now...

-TommyBob(no relation)

I'll see what I can do, I'm diving in the carribean this week... I'll have to get some good pictures.