Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee PRO S2B communicating with Zigbee HA profile sensors — Parallax Forums

XBee PRO S2B communicating with Zigbee HA profile sensors

PajciPajci Posts: 3
edited 2014-06-02 01:06 in Accessories
Is it possible to communicate with Zigbee HA profile sensors with Xbee PRO S2B and if yes, how?
Does anyone know where could I find any specification regarding Zigbee HA profile?
Thank you far any help!

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-01-17 07:59
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-17 08:36
    Pajci wrote: »
    Is it possible to communicate with Zigbee HA profile sensors with Xbee PRO S2B and if yes, how?
    Does anyone know where could I find any specification regarding Zigbee HA profile?
    Thank you far any help!

Pajci,

I'm pretty sure the Series 2 XBees should be able to communicate with other ZigBee devices.

From page 236 of Building Wireless Sensor Networks:
    Application Support Sublayer (APS)
    The APS layer defines standardized messaging for specific tasks where ZigBee radios are commonly employed. By creating standard messages, ZigBee devices created by different manufacturers can all carry on canversations with each other and collaborate seamlessly in predefined applications such as home automation.

Just to be sure, you can call Digi at (866) 765-9885 (toll-free from US or Canada) They're open 8 am to 5 pm Mountain Time.

Sorry, I don't know what you need to do to get the two devices to communicate. One of sites in Franklin's search might help or you could ask Digi.
  • PajciPajci Posts: 3
    edited 2012-01-17 08:43
    As I said, want to know if it is possible to communicate with Zigbee HA profile sensors with XBee PRO S2B module, which, from what I understand, does not have a native support for HA profile.
    I could not found anywhere that information. And where could I find HA profile specification, how the api packet are built. I bought some sensors from wulian company, for example: http://www.wulian.cc/english/chanpin/chakan_chuanganqi.aspx?title=Wireless+IR+Motion+Detector

What settings should be set on my Xbee module in order to establish connection with them. Right now "node discovery" command returns me nothing ...
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-17 09:27
    I think you need to use the API mode to use the Home Automation profile.

I think you have to fill out a form at zigbee.org to download the profile.
  • jdesbonnetjdesbonnet Posts: 1
    edited 2012-01-21 16:06
    Yes it is possible. I've done it. But it can be tricky. Unfortunately I cannot summarize in quick a post how to do it. First hurdle is to get the XBee to associate with the HA network. Try the following parameters:

ZS=2

If it's an encrypted network.

EE=1
    EO=0
    KY=5A6967426565416C6C69616E63653039
    (that's a standard link key used in HA profile)

Check SC to ensure it's scanning the right channels. FFFF will scan all channels.

You'll need to use the API mode to communicate. In particular API method 0x11 for sending packets. Unfortunately there is a lot of reading and research before you'll get results. I recommend you read the XBee manual cover-to-cover. You should also get the ZigBee standard documents and read as much of them as you can bear.
  • PajciPajci Posts: 3
    edited 2012-01-24 03:57
    Finally one who have done it :)

For now I have succeeded to establish connection between XBee and HA sensor. This happened automatically. So how do yo do node discovery for example?
    And where can I find information on how to manage particular sensor? For any more information I would be more than happy! :)
  • tottitotti Posts: 1
    edited 2012-05-04 04:46
    Did you use the API mode..?
  • ljcljcljcljc Posts: 1
    edited 2013-05-30 21:27
    Hi, I am having the same issue here. Trying to configure xbee to communicate with zigbee HA sensor. I followed the steps, but it does not work, could anyone help me? Thanks a lot

Here is my settings:
    API mode
    Pan ID: FFFF
    ZS: 2 (asserts PRO)
    EE: 1 (encryption enabled)
    KY: 5a6967426565416c6c69616e63653039

AO: 1
  • GemaltisteGemaltiste Posts: 1
    edited 2014-06-02 01:06
    Hello,

I'm still working on this subject, I'm trying to connect my XBee S2 (On Arduino Shield) to the Philips Hue Bulb (Without Gateway).
    I have the ti Zigbee sniffer which allows me to see frames between devices.
    Actually I use the common configuration to communicate with HA Sensors on my Xbee :

API mode
    ZS: 2 (asserts PRO)
    EE: 1 (encryption enabled)
    EO: 0
    KY: 5a6967426565416c6c69616e63653039
    AO: 1

Without using tne link Key KY, I can see that my Bulb send "beacon request", the Xbee send the superframe specification (and maybe establish connection ?), Bulb send "Association Request" and Xbee reply "Association Succeded". But "beacon Request" come back...
    When I use the KY key, I have just one beacon request and the association seems to work.
    But now, after connection established, the bulb answered a new kind of frame "NWK Unknown Command" when I send an 0x11 packet. Encryption Problem ? Did I forget something ?

Does anyone know if communication with Hue bulb is possible ? Is there a key exchange during connection/authentification ?

jdesbonnet, do you have more informations about this subject ? :)

Thanks