Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
X-10 Automation via the WEB — Parallax Forums

X-10 Automation via the WEB

Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
edited 2012-01-14 18:45 in Robotics
This project was motivated by a Propeller forum thread pertaining to the X-10 Firecracker.

I created a WEB page designed to run on the Parallax Internet NetBurner Kit (PINK) which would allow me to control lights, appliances, etc.
The web page looks like a HR12A keypad remote (see image below).
It uses xmlHTTPRequest to post data to the PINK.

You can view a demo of it here http://ronczap.home.insightbb.com/remote.htm (works on IE and FireFox)

If you click the "1-8 / 9-16" switch under the buttons, the labels on the left reflect the selected range and the buttons apply to that range.

Clicking the House code causes it to increment to the next letter e.g. "C" to "D".

If you hold down the "ALT" button when you click it, it decrements to the previous letter e.g. "D" to "C"

(The "led" lights for a short time when a button is clicked.)

The following components are used in the project:
  1. BS2 and board (BOE or other)
  2. PINK - Parallax Internet NetBurner Kit (no longer sold by Parallax, but available here)
  3. X10 TM751 2-way Wireless Transceiver module
  4. X10 Firecracker - CM17A
  5. X10 HR12A keypad remote
  6. Various X10 modules (e.g. LM465 Lamp module)
Everything is working fine at this point. The PINK is connected to my router which is set up for Port Forwarding to the PINK.
A "webhop" service from www.dyn.com handles any potential changes to my IP address by my ISP.

I plan to enhance the web page by adding descriptive labels for each X10 unit number.
EDIT: The BS2 loads button labels into PINK variables for unit range 1-8 and 9-16. The web page then overlays the image with labels.

Background

The Firecracker (CM17A) is a radio frequency transmitter designed to send commands to an X10 transceiver like the TM751 or RR501.
Normally you would use a handheld keypad remote like the HR12A to transmit to the TM751.

The Firecracker is designed to plug into a computer's DSUB9 serial port and draw power from the serial port.
The DTR and RTS pins are used to control the Firecracker rather than the data pins normally used for serial devices.
There is a Firecracker interface program for Windows.

The Firecracker can also be used with a microcontroller like the Basic Stamp, Propeller, etc using the DTR and RTS pins.
It needs 5V on the DTR and/or RTS pins to power the PIC microcontroller inside.
(see the Propeller forum link above for using a TC4427 MOSFET driver to handle the 3.3 versus 5 volt issue)
You can also click this image to view the web page..
attachment.php?attachmentid=88578

attachment.php?attachmentid=88577
800 x 600 - 68K
299 x 465 - 25K

Comments

• FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2012-01-14 18:18
    NICE!!
    Is that the Firecracker in the upper right corner?

I also use X-10 in my home and have an HR12A sitting right in front of me.

I am developing a home monitoring system and it currently uses, among other things, a PINK, BS2px and a PL513. I just have some simple pre-defined buttons on my web page but I can bring it up on my Droid X phone. I drove my wife crazy while I was perfecting it by turning lights on and off from work and forgetting to provide the requisite heads-up.

X-10 does have an app but its pretty pricey.

falcon
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-01-14 18:45
    Falcon wrote: »
    NICE!!
    Is that the Firecracker in the upper right corner?

I also use X-10 in my home and have an HR12A sitting right in front of me.

I am developing a home monitoring system and it currently uses, among other things, a PINK, BS2px and a PL513. I just have some simple pre-defined buttons on my web page but I can bring it up on my Droid X phone. I drove my wife crazy while I was perfecting it by turning lights on and off from work and forgetting to provide the requisite heads-up.

X-10 does have an app but its pretty pricey.

falcon

Yes, the little module is the Firecracker. It steals power from the DTR and RTS pins. You can get them for about $6 on eBay versus $26 from X10...

I also picked up two HR12A - $14 for both. I got a new LM465 Lamp module - it has soft start. The lamp brightness ramps up and down when you turn them on and off.

I tried my web page on my Nook Color, but it didn't work. I bet the browser doesn't handle xmlHTTPRequest...