Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie Encoder issue — Parallax Forums

Eddie Encoder issue

sweisfeldsweisfeld Posts: 3
edited 2012-06-12 00:17 in Robotics
I have assembled my eddie and I am having trouble getting the motors to work. using the Parallax Serial terminal (with verbose enabled) I attempted to send the go command to the motors and got an encoder error in response. . .

I have the encoder conected to the eddie control board R in #11 and L in #12. For both the black wire is facing the outside of the control board. Each wire is connected to the top most set of pins with the white wire closest to the wheel. I dont have anything connected to the hb25 port.

Both power leads (for both L & R) are plugged into the eddie control board.

Do I have somthing misconfigured? or is it possilbe that something is broken...

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-01-14 11:33
    sweisfeld wrote: »
    I have assembled my eddie and I am having trouble getting the motors to work. using the Parallax Serial terminal (with verbose enabled) I attempted to send the go command to the motors and got an encoder error in response. . .

I have the encoder conected to the eddie control board R in #11 and L in #12. For both the black wire is facing the outside of the control board. Each wire is connected to the top most set of pins with the white wire closest to the wheel. I dont have anything connected to the hb25 port.

Both power leads (for both L & R) are plugged into the eddie control board.

Do I have somthing misconfigured? or is it possilbe that something is broken...

Check to see if this new firmware helps.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?135425-Eddie-firmware&p=1054028&viewfull=1#post1054028
  • Rick BrooksRick Brooks Posts: 67
    edited 2012-01-14 12:03
    Did you set the jumpers on the jumpers on the encoder correctly?

"Before you mount the drive wheels to the Base, verify that the ID jumpers (A and B) on the Position
    Controller for the left motor are set to “1” (both jumpers installed) and that the ID jumpers on the right
    Position Controller are set to “2” (A installed, B removed)."

Did you wire the two encoders to eachother?

"Connect the long, three-pin servo extension cable to the left Position Controller on the header marked
    “To Controller”. Connect the other end of the cable to the same header on the right Position Controller."

Finally, there should be a connection to #11 on the board, not #12.

"Connect the three-pin cable from the right Position Controller to Pin-set 11 in the “Encoders” section of
    the Control Board. The black wire should be on the outer-most pin of the three-pin header."

Rick Brooks
  • sweisfeldsweisfeld Posts: 3
    edited 2012-01-14 20:04
    Rick, thank you for your help. You pulled the parts out of the instructions that I missed. I had each encoder connected directly to the control board. I needed to hook the left to the right and the right to the control board, after I did that I was in business. Thanks again!
    edited 2012-01-15 06:25
    sweisfeld,
    I wired Eddie exactly that same way that you did...the first time.
    After correcting that, I didn't do the PST functions, but went directly to Parallax Service for RDS4 Beta and am now driving Eddie around with a wireless Xbox controller.
    Rick
  • sweisfeldsweisfeld Posts: 3
    edited 2012-01-15 07:07
    Rick, PST? I am to the point where I can drive him around, although with a wired xbox controller.
    edited 2012-01-15 08:16
    PST = Propeller Serial Terminal

Have you tried controlling Eddie from another computer using Remote Desktop? My son spent a little time on it a few weeks ago and didn't get it to work.

Rick
  • edited 2012-06-06 08:11
    Hi everyone,

I'm having this same encoder error. Using the latest firmware, having left (jumpers AB) and right (jumper A) encoders connected together and right encoder connected to pin 11.
    I've tried many different variations but the issue is still there so I ran some extra tests on each encoder separately:
    1 - Only left-encoder with jumpers AB connected to #11: GO x x runs fine, motors spin, but SPD returns 0 0. Shouldn't I see at least 1 non-null value?
    2 - Only right-encoder with jumpers AB connected to #11: GO x x gives encoder error, SPD: encoder error
    3 - Only right-encoder with jumper A connected to #11: GO x x gives encoder error, SPD: encoder error
    4 - No encoder at all: GO x x runs fine, motors spin, SPD returns 0 0 (fair enough)

I'm puzzled by these results. Should I assume that my right-encoder is broken?
    Do I need both encoders to be working for obtaining non-null SPD values?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Philippe
  • edited 2012-06-12 00:17
    Hi everyone,

I went through extensive testing to find out at the end that one of my encoders was actually broken. In order to save time for other people having this issue I compiled eveything I've done as a tutorial, with a simple program to try out individual encoders directly. Here it is:

http://www.generationrobots.com/encodeurs-eddie,us,8,80.cfm

Regards,
    Philippe