Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stair Climbing Robot Ideas? — Parallax Forums

Stair Climbing Robot Ideas?

Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
edited 2012-01-27 02:52 in Robotics
As I think about what a useful robot would do, check for moisture, monitor temperature etc., I realize the robot really needs full run of the house.

The Scribbler 2 has a hard time transitioning from the vinyl floor of the kitchen to the carpet in the living room. Even the bulge in the carpet caused by the piano causes it trouble. Not that I think the S2 would make a good house roaming robot, I just wanted to point out how so many robots really require a very structured environment to get around.

I'm hoping to make a robot that can navigate through out our house (at least the rooms with open doors). This will require the robot to climb stairs. I understand this is no easy task of an autonomous robot.

I'm trying to figure out what it will take to make a robot that can climb stairs. I've wondered about a treaded robot, but I think I'd rather stick with wheels. All the geometries I've thought of seem to require a wheel on some sort of double hinged leg.

Has anyone here made a stair climbing robot? Any ideas?

Comments

• John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-01-12 14:23
    Here is one that climbs stairs.
    http://www.bluebotics.com/solutions/Shrimp/

John Abshier
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-12 14:30
    Wow, John, that's just what I was looking for.

Thank you. It does have a kind of double hinged leg up front but it's controlled with only one motor (the position of the leg that is). Great!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-01-12 15:11
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luX_0Ek8cqc

One of my faves. Climbs stairs, ladders. Beats the bad guy and gets the girl.

Well, climbs things anyway. :)
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-01-12 16:02
    In addition to the ideas of making a robot that climbs stairs is something that helps a regular robot climb stairs. The problem with robots that can climb stairs is that, in general, they use more power for everything they do. They're also often slower, and if they use things like oversize tracks they quickly become unwelcome guests as they chew up carpet and flooring. You only need the stair-climbing ability for climbing the stairs. Maybe build a little escalator for the robot, or assisted lift of some sort. The design would, I imagine, depend on the width of the stairs, if there are any turns of switch-backs, and so on.

It's not as sexy as a robot that can climb stairs, leap over the cat, and take the dog out for a walk, but you can't have everything.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-01-12 16:23
    @Gordon: I am reminded of the scene in "Arthur 2" when the senior citizen landlord uses a funny and painfully slow stairlift to go upstairs. I looked, but apparently that's the only thing NOT available on Youtube.

http://www.pitchengine.com/mcmobilitysystems/helpgettingupstairsforpeoplewithlimitedmobility
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-01-12 16:32
    Maybe an upstairs robot and a downstairs robot. The tasks on each floor might be varied enough that they would also need different actuators, sensors or rules of conduct. It's not like they couldn't chat with each other via [insert favorite wireless communication method]

Sometimes "general purpose" is over rated!
    edited 2012-01-12 17:14
    Why buy one when you can have two for twice the price? :)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-01-12 19:00
    Our house is a split level with three sets of stairs and four levels. I'd rather not need four robots (at least not for this purpose).

I really like the way the Shrimp III (I think that's the name of the robot John linked to) was able to climb stairs. I'm hoping to build something like it.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-01-25 19:10
    I think one of the better solutions is Big Dog
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-01-27 02:52
    @erco
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luX_0Ek8cqc

One of my faves. Climbs stairs, ladders. Beats the bad guy and gets the girl.

Well, climbs things anyway. :smile:

LOL WOW! That was very cool! I wish I had some time to just enjoy myself with toys like that. It was very impressive to say the least. :(

Bruce