Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
After 4 years, I finally did it... — Parallax Forums

After 4 years, I finally did it...

davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
edited 2012-01-10 09:40 in BASIC Stamp
Yup - seems I blew up my trusty BS2 module. :depressed:

Don't know how (at least I'm not telling), don't know why (probably because I was too tired to be working on the project), but now the voltage regulator on the BS2 gets scary hot...even with a 7.5V source into the BOE DC jack.

The IDE no longer recognizes the BS2 either.

I don't know if the voltage regulator failed, or if something else has failed and the increased current is making the regulator heat up.

So, has anyone repaired their BS2?
Any tips for possible troubleshooting?
Does Parallax offer a repair service?

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-01-09 23:14
    Hey Dave! Sure - drop me your shipping address to kgracey@parallax.com and we will have you back in action before the weekend.

Ken Gracey
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-01-09 23:23
    These kinds of problems are like back issues (not the magazine subscription kind). One moment you feel great; the next, you're writhing on the floor with muscle spasms wondering what the he!! you just did. Fortunately BS2s are simpler than backs. Have you tried bypassing the regulator and powering the Stamp from the Vcc side with a +5V supply? If that works, you can probably just replace the regulator.

-Phil

Update: Fortunately, Dr. Gracey is around to offer a complete transplant! :)
  • RiJoRiRiJoRi Posts: 157
    edited 2012-01-10 07:39
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Hey Dave! Sure - drop me your shipping address to kgracey@parallax.com and we will have you back in action before the weekend.

Ken Gracey

I, sir, am IMPRESSED!!!

--Rich
    FWIW :)
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2012-01-10 08:57
    Mr. (Dr.) Gracey,

Acknowledged - thank you.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-01-10 09:06
    Ken Gracey wrote: »

Ken Gracey

Ken: As long as you're dragging me into the Propeller, carpe Propum and ship Dave a Propeller "upgrade"! :) How can he resist?
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2012-01-10 09:40
    erco wrote: »
    Ken: As long as you're dragging me into the Propeller, carpe Propum and ship Dave a Propeller "upgrade"! :) How can he resist?

....um...I'm quite happy with the BS2, man! :cool: