Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
which PCB-layouting software freeware or shareware for small projects? — Parallax Forums

which PCB-layouting software freeware or shareware for small projects?

StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
edited 2012-01-17 21:39 in Robotics
Hi,

I have never used a PCB-layout routing or schematic drawing software before.
(From my avatar you could think I'm still doing free wired components clusters. But I left stoneage
and turned over to ironage using dotmatrix prototype PCBs) :smile:

OBC mentioned the software Fritzing some month ago. I played around with it for some time.

It has a feature that I find very useful. If you point the mouse-arrow on a pin of a pre-defined part
it shows the name of this pin. Another cool feature is that the schematic and PCB gets updated as soon as
you drag and drop another part into one of the views.

Which PCB-layouting freeware or shareware does provide this features?

I would like to use a software that has a limited functionality and therefore is MUCH easier to learn.
The PCBs I plan to create are singlesided, throughhole components 10-30 parts. So nothing special.

if somebody knows QCAD for 2D construction and something like Inventor, pro engineer, CATIA etc.
QCAD takes 2 hours to learn and you start constructing productive. If it would be 3D you might need 8 hours
Something like CATIA is very powerful but it needs weeks or months until you become productive.

please post suggestions and a small description of the sofware

best regards
Stefan

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-01-07 14:02
    Stephan,

I'm sure you have seen the all standard players. You have been around for a while. :)

Diptrace

Eagle

DesignSpark

KiCad

Off course there are more.
    edited 2012-01-07 14:07
    I would also mention ExpressPCB, but I don't think it has some of the features that your looking for. And because they are in the US, shipping to Europe may be prohibitive.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2012-01-07 14:25
    publison,

thank you for posting the links. But I'm sorry I never tested them.

Oh yes quite a good amount of postings. Most of them for propeller and software related.

I started etching of hand-drawn (good old edding 3000) at the age of 13. But stopped doing this a long time ago.
    I remember some years ago I played a little bit with KiCAD. I know the names of the software but it is really true all the projects that I have made
    (which aren't so much) are made on dot-matrix prototype-PCBs soldering wires from dot to dot.

This takes time of course. But to me for smaller projects with just 10-30 parts it seems to be faster this way
    If you can say that even for 30 parts placing components and drawing connections is faster I will change it.
    Though I don't like etching. Doing a single PCB at a company is way too expensive. I hope to do PCB milling when my PCB-mill will be finished.

best regards
    Stefan
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-01-07 16:06
    StefanL
    • Eagle Lite from Cadsoft is free
    • It allows you to create 3.2" X 4" double sided PCB
    • It also will generate drill files for you, and I am sure it can do much more.
    • Can't beat the price
    http://www.cadsoftusa.com/downloads/freeware/

EDIT: It's made in Germany :)
    edited 2012-01-08 05:05
    Hi Bruce,

thank you for pointing on eagle-lite.

Now I don't want to test all the different softwares from scratch. What I do like about the Fritzing software is
    that you define a part ONCE. In this definition contained is
    how the part looks like in the schematic
    how the part looks like in the PCB-view.
    Each Pin gets a short name and a comment.
    So whenever you point with the mouse-arrow onto a pin regardless of schematic view or PCB-view a hint near to the mouse-arrow says what this pin is.

Now which other software comes close to this concept?

ExpressPCB has separate folders for
    - schematic components
    - PCB-components
    - symbolic components

So I guess you define each part twice or even three times and the definitions are NOT connected to each other.
    If this is right ExpressPCB is out of the race.

Brice how is this done in eagle?
    can you describe in a few lines how eagle works?
    Or does somebody know of a link to a video that shows how a two or three components are drawn in the schematic and then placed on the PCB?

best regards
    Stefan
    edited 2012-01-08 05:28
    Stefan

In Eagle you have projects. First you start with a "schematic" and then generate a "board" from the schematic, or just simply stop at creating the schematic. If you decide to generate a board, once the board is created, it gives you a blank board area with all the parts that were in your schematic, with all the parts connected as indicated in your schematic. Simply place the parts where you want them on the board and then do a trace route to create the wire traces or you can do them manually. You can also define hole sizes, trace widths, etc...

As far as custom parts go... Parts are contained within libraries, you can add or delete parts from a library, or you can create custom libraries for specific projects with specific parts. Libraries contain numerous "devices" or master copies of a particular components. Each device has a "symbol" which represents the component on the schematic. However, each device can be available in different "packages", for instance DIP-8, TO-220, etc... Therefore each device can contain just one type of package or several.

It is a little difficult to get a grasp on the software, but when you do, it's pretty nice. I looked at several pieces of software before settling into Eagle. At first it annoyed me during the learning process, but now that I understand it, I like it.

I hope I explained this well enough for you.

Bruce
    edited 2012-01-08 05:52
    Stefan

I guess I should have mentioned that once you create a device, it contains ALL the information in one location, or should I say it is all linked to one location. You can define pin names etc...

In my opinion, if you take the time to learn the software, it is probably the best you will find for doing small boards without having to pay any money for the software. No gimmicks, no tricks, just a free piece of nice software.

Bruce
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-01-08 06:28
    Have a look at DesignSpark from RS Components, I think it has those features you are after. It's based on Easy-PC which I used for many years until Pulsonix came along. DesignSpark, Easy-PC and Pulsonix are all produced by the same company.
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2012-01-09 08:58
    I enjoy using Diptrace and learned it by just following their tutorial. The 300 pin, 2 layer version is also free for non comercial use.

Dave
    edited 2012-01-09 09:02
    Leon wrote: »
    Have a look at DesignSpark from RS Components, I think it has those features you are after. It's based on Easy-PC which I used for many years until Pulsonix came along. DesignSpark, Easy-PC and Pulsonix are all produced by the same company.

Noted in Post #2
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2012-01-09 14:23
    I second DipTrace. I started with the free version personally and loved it so much, bought the full version for use at work for small projects. The part libraries are easy to use, maintain, and update, making it simple to utilize objects across multiple projects by using standard methods like much more expensive PCB CAD programs.
  • CircuitMageCircuitMage Posts: 62
    edited 2012-01-11 06:41
    +1 to EagleCad and ExpressPCB.

If you are doing volume or prototypes, then go with ExpressPCB, as they will cut your boards for you as well!
  • KievlaninKievlanin Posts: 55
    edited 2012-01-17 17:21
    Stefan, I am using Autodesk Inventor and love it! However, I am mechanical engineer and I do not know if Inventor has an Electronic Design version.

I learn Inventor in a week to start making machine parts. Of course after several years using AutoCAD Mechanical...
    So far Inventor is best to learn for end user.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2012-01-17 19:00
    I like DipTrace as well. I found it easier to learn than Eagle, and there's no area restriction on the free version, just a pin count restriction. That means that you're not penalized for using through-hole parts like you are with Eagle. Their tutorials are quite good. That said, Eagle has a larger installed base and finding part libraries for it may be easier.
    edited 2012-01-17 21:39
    Hello all,

thank you very much for your comments.
    @Kievlanin:
    I learn Inventor in a week to start making machine parts. Of course after several years using AutoCAD Mechanical...

you were used to AutoCAD for several years. And that's the exact reason why it took you only one week to get into Inventor. (because you trained month or even years on on Inventors pre-desessor AutoCAD)
    I played around a little bit with Inventor and got the impression. hm will take some weeks to get me started. and some months to become productive. Even as I have quite some practise with MegaCAD
    But Inventor is not for PCB-design anyway. (PCB-design includes a router).

Now I have tested DesignSpark and I'm quite satisfied with that.

But I have some very concrete questions:

If you point the mouse-arrow over a pad of a part. Does Diptrace show a hint with all the information about this Pad
    example: Pin 14 of the 74-595 shiftregister is serial data in. So I expect the part in the library that it has PIN number "14" and a short name like "SER DATA IN".
    This information should show up if I a point the mouse-arrow onto the pad.

Does DipTrace have a big part-library included?
    Is adding a library as easy as copying a file into the library-folder and you are done?

After routing: Can you drag and move parts and connections in the PCB-view around for manual corrections of the routing?

keep the comments coming
    best regards
    Stefan