Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Small bevel gears and RPM — Parallax Forums

Small bevel gears and RPM

idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
edited 2012-01-04 01:38 in Robotics
Hello Everyone

I am thinking about using bevel gears in a current project and I was wondering what the maximum RPM would be.

The gear ratio would be 1:1.3, with a diametral pitch of 32. The input shaft will be a nominal 3/16" and the output shaft will be a nominal 1/8", with both shafts being less than an inch in length. What would be the maximum output speed I could hope to achieve with such a setup?

Bruce

EDIT: Wikipedia states that smaller bevel gears are generally limited to 1000 RPM or less. Looks like I need a different solution. :(

Comments

• wjsteelewjsteele Posts: 697
    edited 2012-01-02 03:48
    Bruce,

It's not about the speed, but the acceleration. If you can slowly ramp up to your speed, you should be able to attain a much higher speed with them.

Bill
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-01-02 04:07
    Hey Bill - Thanks for the response.

Yea, I was kind of wishywashy about the wikipedia info, but I have already started going in a different direction. I had some gearing that I salvaged from an old Zebco 202 fishing reel and I have decided to modify that setup and give it a try.

Normally I use steppers, as I am sure you know, but in this instance, I am just using a standard high torque DC motor (an old DeWalt drill motor 14.4V). I have not tested this motor for RPM, but I think I remember reading that it puts out about 11,000. Additionally, I have not taken the time to figure out the Zebco gear ratio, but it looks somewhere in the ballpark of 1:3. As a final result, I would like to end up with around 15,000 without any motor control, so ramping is sort of out of scope for this project. I just want to flip a switch and let it run. I am hoping that I can dial in the RPMs with voltage adjustments, but I am unsure if this is possible, because I have never tried it before.

Anyhow, thanks once again for the input.

Bruce
    edited 2012-01-02 05:58
    Not that anybody really cares, but the gear ratio for a Zebco 202 is 1:2.5. If I only had a spare Proto Board, I could determine the RPM of the DeWalt motor.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2012-01-03 19:42
    idbruce:
    '
    The Zebco 202 gear cluster will not handle the high RPMs of the DeWalt motor,Or the Torq.
    '
    Don't over speed an Abrasive cut-off disk....or any other cutting/polishing/etc. disk!!!!
    '
    Don't buy used or old disks either
    '
    If they have ever been wet...Their very dangerous..!!!!!!!!!...(Trust Me)
    '
    Most cut-off disks are rated at 10,000 RPMs...But double check to make sure..!!!
    edited 2012-01-04 01:38
    @Walt

LOL You know right where I am heading with this project and thread :) I appreciate the concern :)

Let me address the concerns raised.
    The Zebco 202 gear cluster will not handle the high RPMs of the DeWalt motor,Or the Torq.

These gears are from an older Zebco, being finely machined and hardened steel. They look pretty well made. You could be right, but inquiring, inventive minds need to know. I am not worried about the torque too much, just the RPMs. I have designed what I think is a fairly nice assembly, and I think it just might hold up, but it may not like you mentioned.

Additionally, upon further research, it appears that the DeWalt drill motor needs the gearbox attached to obtain the high end RPMs. Without the gearbox, I imagine the motor probably runs at about 1800 RPM, but I still have not tested the output.
    Don't over speed an Abrasive cut-off disk....or any other cutting/polishing/etc. disk!!!!
    '
    Don't buy used or old disks either
    '
    If they have ever been wet...Their very dangerous..!!!!!!!!!...(Trust Me)
    '
    Most cut-off disks are rated at 10,000 RPMs...But double check to make sure..!!!

I will be attaching a new Dremel 545 Diamond Wheel (7/8" Dia.) to the output shaft. For use, this disk is rated between 15,000 and 20,000 RPMs. With this disk chucked into a drill, and with the drill rotating at 3,600 RPM, it cuts through 1/16", 1 oz. copper clad FR4, double-sided PCBs and the protective coating like they were butter, leaving a very fine cut with very little burr.

If the Zebco gearing is able to handle the output RPM of the DeWalt motor, this will be a pretty slick setup for cutting PCBs. The whole motor/cutter assembly will be mounted to two linear shafts thus making it very similar to a panel saw. Simply line up the edge of a PCB to a desired location along a measuring rule, and pull the motor/cutter linearly to make the cut.

As a side note, pertaining to the previous cutter, I have decided to put that project on the back burning until I can swap out the motor to a high torque NEMA 34. At which point, I will use that cutter strictly for cutting sheet metal.

I appreciate the concern Walt, wish me luck :)

Bruce