Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Card Reader inside car door? Will it work? — Parallax Forums

RFID Card Reader inside car door? Will it work?

pwnm30rdi3pwnm30rdi3 Posts: 3
edited 2012-02-08 04:37 in Accessories
I'm going to be placing a RFID Card Reader inside my car door against exterior side of the door.
Will the Reader be able to pick up the signal through the sheet metal?

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2011-12-30 06:46
    Welcome to the forum!
    The signal of a passive RFID will not pass the metal (or the thickness) of the door.
    Try to find a suitable place on the side, and enclose it in a plastic box.
    Massimo
  • pwnm30rdi3pwnm30rdi3 Posts: 3
    edited 2011-12-30 20:58
    Really? It's basically just sheet metal.

What about a window?
    My rear window is tinted with 5% tint so I wouldn't be able to see the RFID Card Reader.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-12-31 13:11
    Obvious answer, why not just try it?

In case it doesn't work behind metal, it should work behind glass.

Again, be the pioneer and see if it works!
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2011-12-31 13:19
    Really? It's basically just sheet metal.
    When yoiu ask some one a question and get an answer it is not polite to argue the answer.
    Yes, it's just sheetmetal and that's why it won't work.
  • pwnm30rdi3pwnm30rdi3 Posts: 3
    edited 2011-12-31 20:41
    Franklin wrote: »
    When yoiu ask some one a question and get an answer it is not polite to argue the answer.
    Yes, it's just sheetmetal and that's why it won't work.

I was asking the question again just to clarify, not to argue. I'm sorry if I offended you.
    I didn't mean to upset anyone.

@ Publison
    The RFID reader has not arrived at my house yet so I can not test it. Which is why I was asking questions.
    I found a resource online that clarified even the thickness of tin foil is enough to block a weak RFID signal.
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2012-01-01 02:19
    Which is why I was asking questions.
    It's good to ask questions that's what these forum are for.
    I found a resource online that clarified even the thickness of tin foil is enough to block a weak RFID signal.
    The car sheet metal is little bit thicker then tin foil. Even a antistatic bag used to protect circuit boards is enough to block the RFID signal. That's what EZ-Pass RFID toll tags come in and you stick the toll tag in the bag to prevent it from being read by RFID reader at the toll plaza when you don't want it to charge your account.

BTW, RFID toll tags and RFID tags do work through glass.
  • graffixgraffix Posts: 389
    edited 2012-01-01 14:14
    I saw a working project on you tube using a parallax rfid for the car door opener and ignition start?

See tonytsi89
  • eagletalontimeagletalontim Posts: 1,399
    edited 2012-02-08 04:37
    I have tried this before on my car thinking since it was thin sheet metal, the RFID would work. My results were that it would not work reliably. I was able to get the to pick up bits and pieces of the ID when moving the card all over the place, but never the whole think reliably. I tried putting the reader at the lower part of the front window and it worked pretty well. It was visible though. Any metallic material in front of the RFID reader will shield the reader from picking up the RFID card. There are readers out there that pick up cards up to 3 feet away which may work through a car door, but they are big and probably don't have open source code to work with the prop, bs2, or SX.